•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Trany and case swap

tripnbubbles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I have a 1989 bronco 2 2.9 4x4 auto with push button transfer that is givin me reverse problems i have picked up a 1985 2.9 ranger 4x4 standerd trany and case. can i swap this in or is ther more to it due to the electronics.

tripnbubbles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Or should i stay with the auto and push button???? i cant figure out the prob with reverse,, it will back up, it is not slipping, just way tight like i have the brakes on i have all 4 wheels off the ground and drive shafts out and still does it???? Is this the case or the trany??? What can i do???

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I don't quite get what you have. Your BII has an auto tranny and electric T-case, I get that. But the one you bought is a manual tranny and manual T-case?

If that is the case, then I don't see any problems with swapping the manual tranny and manual case into your BII. Personlly I would put in the manual tranny and manual T-case. The trannies tend to go out on you (sounds like yours already has) and the electric T-cases work when they want to, and don't when you need them to. The the manuals, you KNOW they are going to work, no gambling involved.

And as long as both are 2.9's (which they are), I don't see any reason that they won't swap.

tripnbubbles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Great info and thanks. Hate to go to standerd due to wife but she will learn. its off road only in the great fla. goo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
The vehicle will "work," but you'd be better off with a manual transmission computer. For instance, your check engine light will be on continuously because it thinks your torque converter clutch is fried (open). This makes the CEL useless as a diagnostic. It also disables certain fuel economy optimizations.

There are other (less major) issues. The floor shifters are obviously different. The brake pedal is different to clear the clutch. The neutral sensing switch is different (it is NOT a neutral safety switch). Obviously, you're going to need a complete clutch as well. Some folks recommend putting a 4.0L clutch in instead, which requires a different starter.