•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

trany removal?

allen227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I am starting a project to remove the the transmission and find a leak and possibly change the clutch. I see the hy. line and master cylinder but am a little unsure how to disconnect the line at either the bell housing or the master cylinder? If some one can give me some detailed instruction on how to disconnect that line it would hlp. I havent done a clutch on a rear wheel drive b4 so I am learning as I go. I plan on leaving the transfer case attached for the job, to remove the front drive shaft does it just slide into the transfer case or is there something I am missing? also How do you remove the shifter? I have the boot loose but it is kinda in the way. I would like to get the shifter know off to remove the boot but cant seem to figure it out? :icon_confused: Any other help or tricks would be helpful as well thx.

89 bronco II xlt 4x4 5 speed manual with manual shifting transfer case.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Remove the transfer case. 80 lbs twice is doable. 160 lbs at once isn't.

As for "detailed" instructions, why are you asking us to retype the Haynes manual?

For the hydraulic clutch line, there are two different ones in use. Which transmission do you have?

allen227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Remove the transfer case. 80 lbs twice is doable. 160 lbs at once isn't.

As for "detailed" instructions, why are you asking us to retype the Haynes manual?

For the hydraulic clutch line, there are two different ones in use. Which transmission do you have?
ok when I said detailed I was simply hopeing for an answer with some details as to how to get the line loose. I dont need details on how to remove the transmission itself (that I can do) just the line. Also the front shaft has me a bit confused.
I figured out the shifter knob which is what I was actually asking when I said shifter.

Here are some pics of the line going into the bell housing and front drive shaft where it meets the t-case.

this is clutch line at bell housing do u know how it comes apart?

this is where shaft meets t-case does it bolt to the case, if so the boot seems like it doesnt come off with the shaft still on the case?

close up of the boot on the drive shaft

Last edited:

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
press against the rubber driveshaft boot and pull on the shaft to get it off.

allen227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
So I need to unbolt it at the front differental and it will just slide out of the case? its not bolted at the case?

Original_Ranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
nope its a slip thingy all you have to do is like he said "remove the driveshaft from the front diff." then loosen the boot right at the T Case and peel it back sort ofcause it sort of looks like this: --l_l-- (that being the boot with an indent).

as for the clutch thing... let me go get my manual... It says to remove it at the slave cylinder(your picture). I only have the sevice manual for 84. but i would try twisting it to remove it or try to take the white section off.(if it feels like your going to break something. Stop! because I am only suggesting and don't know exactly what i'm talking about with this 2.9L)

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Get some break cleaner and clean up the area where the line goes inside the slave and push in on the white clip while pulling out on the line. Should come out fairly easily.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
To get the clutch line out of the master cylinder there is a rollpin that you press out with a nail or a punch, then the line should disconnect from the master easily.