•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Truck died on me and now won't start HELP

removebe4flight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So, I am transferring across the country and was about to make the drive. So, I changed the oil, changed the transmission oil cooler to a bigger one and then did the sea-foam treatment through the vacuum line off the brake booster and PCV valve. I let it set for 10 mins and then when for a drive to warm everything up and then check fluid levels. I Got 10 miles and turned in to a gas station to turn around and the truck died. The check engine light is on now and doesn't go out. I had the cruise control on the whole drive. Tried to start it, the engine turns just doesn't crank. The fuel pump clicks on, I check the fuel rail and there is pressure. I pulled a plug and it looks clean and dry. I got it towed home. and now it sits.

Any thoughts on what it could be. I am leaving Tuesday. but I think I am just going to ship it now and fly home. But still would like for it to run before I leave.

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Crank no start, if your getting fuel what's the pressure at the rail? Check for spark, could be the coil or a sensor.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
On my old 86 it died just like that when the ICM went out. Running great, turned into a parking lot and it just quit. Like flicking a switch, the engine was running great then dead.

removebe4flight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Crank no start, if your getting fuel what's the pressure at the rail? Check for spark, could be the coil or a sensor.
It cranks but it doesn't start. I am getting presure at the rail. I don't have a gauge to know the pressure. I heard the fuel run when you turn the key to on. I piggy backed the coil but nothing still. I am just going to have it shipped to Florida and then work on it there.

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I had the connector become partially unplugged from the distributors ignition module before, which caused it to shut down like that. A previous owner had broken the locking tab of the connector and vibration caused it to unplug slightly which was enough to lose spark.

removebe4flight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
would a timing chain make the check engine light come on.

dirtcowboy

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
TFI for sure.

removebe4flight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So, from my previous post on how it died here is what I did so far. I tested each plug from the distributor and none are getting spark. I tested the ignition coil on both sides of the cable and got nothing. So, I went to the TFI. Pulled it and tested it. the ground from the new one and the old one was off a little so I swapped it our no joy. I Changed the EEC relay, pulled the distributor cap and verified it turns with it cranking. Changed the Intake Air Temp sensor, found it wasn't in specs and was nasty. So This is where i sit. Is there a way to test the distributor with out taking it out of the truck. I talked to the ford guy and he said maybe the stater is bad. Any thoughts I am at a lost and don't want to buy a Dizzy and go through that if it is something stupid and little.

removebe4flight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Turned out to be the Distributor. When I took it out. the stator was complete coming apart. Just have to set the timing and it is all good.