•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Trying to find a receiver hitch for a custom bumper?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I am in the process of trying to build a custom bumper for my 86 B2. The original design I had the winch being mounted to the top of the bumper. This cause my bumper to stick out over 9 inches and many members here says that itll be too heavy. So I went and sat down and looked online for some things and found a winch mount that hooks to a receiver hitch. Well this would cut down alot on my overall size of my bumper and the daily driving weight because I could remove it. My question is does anyone know where I can find just the receiver part of the hitch. Walmart has small receivers but they want $100+ for one.

I found this hitch extension for $35:

This one is really just an adapter for a 1 1/4" hitch to fit a 2" hitch but if I cut the 1 1/4" off and weld the 2" part to my bumper and support it do you think that will be able to take the pressure that a regular hitch would handle? I mean the extension would have to be just as strong as the actual hitch because it is apart of the hitch, right? Lastly would it depend more on how well I support the hitch than the hitch itself?

This will be the big decider on how far the bumper has to stick of the front of the truck. Thanks!

The Jester Race

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2006
Vehicle
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 2.5
First off, get some 2.5", 0.25" wall square tube, drill a 5/8" hole. There's your receiver.

Here is an idea for you.
This is my stubby bumper/winch mount. The winch sits in a cradle that can be removed simply by pulling two hitch pins.
You could build a full bumper off of it. It would give you a cleaner look then having a winch just hanging out in front of your bumper, and it allows you to pull the winch out for DD duty and if you need to pull from the back you can.

Don't worry too much about how far your bumper sticks out, 9 inches really isn't that much. My mount sticks out 8 inches.

-Jester

twitch615

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you don't feel like making your own receiver you could probably buy one from harbor freight. I'm pretty sure I've seen them there. Good luck with building your bumper bud.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Tractor Supply, Buyers Products Inc, and Harbor Freight all carry this item.