•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Turbo Charged 4.0L BII Build

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Exactly.

When you add more mass, you are adding more of something.

Adding more air mass, is adding more air, period.

If anything more volume in a boosted application is better, and the increase in spool-up time is unnoticeable. If it was such a problem, rear mount turbos would take forevvvvvvvvvver to spool up and create boost, and they dont.

The only time an intercooler becomes a problem is when it is a highly restrictive design, like a volvo FMIC or something of that sort, and those really arent that thermally efficient anyway. With that being said, Id still take a volvo IC over no IC, even at 5psi.

In a boosted application you want the charge air to be as close to if not lower than the ambient temp.

Sometimes its easier to not have an intercooler, such as in an explorer with limited space and piping concerns, but your still not going to make the same amount of power, let alone have the timing capability, of an intercooled setup.

Actually rear mount turbos do spool slower on the street depending on the setup. Ive had a rear mounted TT v8 setup I dont like how a rear mount spools up on the street. Not to mention relying on a noisy scavenge pump. The only reason they spool as fast as the ydo Is becasue rear mounts generall use smaller turbine housings that you would up front. You do lose some effeciency with rear mounts. Hotter gases carry more energy and velocity. Hot expanding gases with high velocity is best for a turbocharger. With the smaller housings the gases try to squeeze thru a small scroll which creates velocity. if you have an automatic equipt car its not a big deal since you dont have to lift to shift (which keep the turbocharger spooled). In an manual equipt car there is some to be lost on the street. The track is a different story.

Back to the point if the blower you are using dosent push IATs that high then a intercooler isnt truly necesary. i have no intercooler on my 4.0 I push 5 psi everyday with a stock ecu and no timing adjustments whatso ever. Just fuel mods and I have no detonation issues at 5 psi even in the heat of the summer. Even some of the best intercoolers will have a slight pressure loss due to the restriction. Its all up to waht your using the vehicle for. I want the fastest response for good low rpm torque on my 4.0 so I can pass, take hills and haul equiptment.....You are right volume isnt as necesary on most setups but smaller volume=faster response due to faster fill time. Maybe someday il be able to see if my 4.0 benifits from an intercooler but until now its doing just fine and gets me what I need so I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I'm going to be using the stock manifolds and already have a location planned for the turbo. I've got a bunch of exhaust tube and going to make a y-pipe to mount up the turbo. Turbo will be a T3/T4 hybrid from a 280ZX.

Pictures to come.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What are the A/R specs on the T3T4?

I would want a quick spooling one on a off road rig..

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I expect to hit full boost (5 psi) at around 1700-2000 rpm. This turbo I'm using was spinning 20+ psi on a 2.8L.

It's still on the small side for a single. Twin turbos from a Dodge 2.2 would be better sized for the 4.0L.

Last edited:

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
man i wish i had the know how of putting a turbo on my 4L OHV. Too bad my engine is bone stock and i have no idea what i'm doing. Cool thread want to hear some updates and pictures!