•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Twister 85 B2 Build

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I think the reason why our efans run all the time is because of the switches location. Been thinking about it and maybe putting it on the lower rad hose is the solution. If the fluid coming out of the rad is to hot, then the fan will have to kick on. But if not to the temp that activates the switch, it will stay off.

If it stays on top on the coolant neck, it will just sit in hot coolant keeping it on.
But then I add a kinda wussy mechanical fan and it very rarely runs at all... :icon_confused:

I do agree we are missing something. I can kinda see my compromised system struggling (4.0 radiator, bunch of tranny coolers, and pusher efan) but you have an OEM 5.0 radiator and a huge OEM puller fan that is probably cooling about as many 5.0 Mustangs at this point as it is 3.0 Tauruses. You shouldn't be having a problem.

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
It cools the fluid off in no time but the switch turns on at 195 off at 185 and my tstat is a 192. That's why I'm going to install a 185 and see what that does.

I can't hear my fan but I don't like how it's always on consuming power and putting more load on my alternator then needed.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Called flex-a-lite and after being put on hold for 25 min, their tech said i should have a problem with using the adapter and a flex fan. So i might get the adapter and the autozone down the street has a reverse rotation fan i am going to pick up.
That should be, shouldn't have a problem, dumb autocorrect. What is all involved in shoving the radiator under the core support? Am I going to have to cut the core support at all, if so i would rather not ad my core support is pretty much rust free and in really good shape.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If using the 4.0 rad, I dint think there is any or much cutting.

For the 5.0, their well be cutting.

Best thing is if you do the fans, mount them and find out your clearances. You want the fan as close as you can get it. They say 3/8 of an inch from the rad is good on PowerBlock. With a shroud I don't think it has to be that close.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
If using the 4.0 rad, I dint think there is any or much cutting.

For the 5.0, their well be cutting.

Best thing is if you do the fans, mount them and find out your clearances. You want the fan as close as you can get it. They say 3/8 of an inch from the rad is good on PowerBlock. With a shroud I don't think it has to be that close.

That's my plan, I have too take a closer look at the radiator and support if its not much work to shove it under there then that would seem like the most logical idea.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
If you want OEM efan dimensions O'Reilly's lists them on their website.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Well got some good news and bad news.

Good news: I got the transfer case up and attached to the transmission, what a PITA that was. Took me and my brother 3 hours to get it on the transmission output shaft. I have to get some longer bolts because the rings for spacing it are too thick.

Bad news: In an emergency we had to let the transfer case fall, luckily its pretty sturdy, but on it'd way down it caught the power wire for my fuel pump and it ripped the power wire right out of the pump. I think the pump might be toast :(

Lastly, 85 what lower radiator hose did you use. I saw you used a flex hose, would you happen to have the part number?

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I will say for mine I had to use an 18 or 18.5 inch rad flex hose. I just measured what length I needed after everything was installed, googled the length, asking with the knowledge of how big the end needed to be for the rad outlet and pump inlet (AutoZone has those measurements for you) and in two days, was good to go.

Part number to mine Matt be in my build thread, I took a picture off the hose and the part number tag it had.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Lastly, 85 what lower radiator hose did you use. I saw you used a flex hose, would you happen to have the part number?
No I don't, it had to be longer because the inlet on the Explorer pump was shorter than my standard pump.

The parts store had it in stock though.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
OK thanks, guess I'll have to measure it and grab one.

Got the transfer case finish bolted up, got some new grade 8 bolts, its amazing how well this thing fits in there, almost like its suppose to be there. But it looks like my drive line angle might be a bit steep.

Put some tranny fluid in the transmission while I had the shifter out and put the shifter on, it seems a bit to long lol, going to find a shorter one.

Also I am pretty sure my fuel pump is shot :( it doesn't look like I can open it and reattached it, but rather be out $40 then have a smashed limb

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I like my long shifter, gives it the old school feel that these newer vehicles don't have.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
I like my long shifter, gives it the old school feel that these newer vehicles don't have.

It is a little out of control, my hand nearly hits the steering wheel when its in second lol

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Ideally you want the rear output to be at the same angle as your rear pinion flange to run smooth.

Looking good though, figured out what you are going to do for the t-case mount yet?

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Ideally you want the rear output to be at the same angle as your rear pinion flange to run smooth.

Looking good though, figured out what you are going to do for the t-case mount yet?
I'll have to get a pic with a stick for you guys to see the angles.

I don't know yet about the tcase. There are several companies that make them and they range from $80-200. I don't have faith in my skills to something on my own.

This is the one I've been looking at.

http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=106&products_id=732

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Got my fan and adapter today, and they fit :yahoo:

Ive got about 3/4-1" between the fan and the radiator. The fan seem a little low but that was to be expected because of the body lift. Looking through 85's write up for the explorer FEAD, it looks like his is lower as well. I will need to trim my shroud to make it fit on the bottom.

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
How far from the bottom of the rad is the fan? If it's center or close enough then from the looks of the last picture, you could go with a slightly larger one.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
How far from the bottom of the rad is the fan? If it's center or close enough then from the looks of the last picture, you could go with a slightly larger one.

It sticks out the bottom a little. I was a bit surprised, I thought a 17" fan would be a bit bigger.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Ive got about 3/4-1" between the fan and the radiator. The fan seem a little low but that was to be expected because of the body lift. Looking through 85's write up for the explorer FEAD, it looks like his is lower as well. I will need to trim my shroud to make it fit on the bottom.
The Explorer radiator takes a different shroud than a BII or Ranger radiator. The mounting clips at the bottom are spaced differently.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Swapping to the explorer FEAD, the alt becomes internally regulated so do I need the fender regulator anymore, can I just unplug it?

Also, which stud does the small orange wire go to on the starter solenoid. The solenoid broke a long time ago and hasn't been there and I forgot which side it went on.

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
The wire goes to the S, for start. The coil goes to the I, for ignition.