•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

unidentified squeaking

dollydagger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hello,

My name is Daniel and I've been on and off lurking. I've been doing searches and haven't found anything quite like the problem I have been having. on my 89 BII 4x4 5spd(fm146) i have developed a squeak, as the title suggests. I havent had a second body to help me identify the sound and am not sure where to start.

When I am accelerating, even just a little bit, the squeaking is not present, but once i let off the throttle it starts squeaking and chirping until i stop. I haven't really noticed a correlation between gears and the sound when I am downshifting, generally seems to be correlating to the vehicle speed, which makes me think it is a wheel bearing or something similar. I checked for play in the driveshaft, which was a problem on my ex's XJ. When i push in the clutch the noise is still present, but seems to slow down until it is back in gear, which is what confuses me. When I am stopped I have no sound, whether clutch is in or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I hate asking for help on forums when I still am new, but am at odds on this. Truck is taken offroad occasionally, if it helps.

Thank you very much,

Daniel

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Couple of thoughts...since it's definitely motion activated noise, I would look at moving parts.

Universal joint (mine made noise whether clutch was in or not), throw out bearing but I think not since it doesn't change with clutch in, how long has the clutch been in?

Mine was the universal joint...

Can you roll it just a little by hand and see what general direction the noise is coming from?

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
I had a similar issue a couple of years ago. Turned out to be the passenger side radius arm bushing. Just a thought.

Rangurr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I4
I'd put money on wheel bearings or u-joints (probably u-joints IMO). Being an '89 Bronco II, I'm assuming yours has the CV style driveshaft, correct?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Don't forget the front passenger side axle shaft. It's a 2-piece with a u-joint in it. I had a squeak in the front that went with the wheel speed and it was the axle joint. I crawled under it and sprayed it down real good with WD-40 and it went away.