•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Unknown relays under dash and missing trim pieces.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Well, as the title states...

I've got 3 relays that look more like they where cobbled into place and then black taped to look like they belong there.

One relay is by itself, and the other two relays are stuck together with tape.

I've got one relay that looks to be in a factory socket/plug...so I'm fairly sure that one belongs there.

With a Bronco II XLT model... What should I expect to see under the dash near/next to the fuse panel? I'm at the point where I need to clean up the wiring mess under the dash...and don't feel like pulling out a factory relay. I'm fairly sure the 3 that are not in an actual factory pro socket probably are left overs...(fog lights, amp, etc....) They have the DYI crimp terminals on it...Pretty sure Ford didn't use that.

This Bronco II was owned by a teenie bopper that loved his amp's and stereo. I've been pulling out dead end sets of old amp wires....old power and input lines... And I can tell it had a sub amp bolted to the rear left panel in the back. (holes all over the place.)

And lastly...Where in the heck is the fuel pump relay and the fuel enertia switch? (does anyone have an actual photo of the thing? I can't seem to find it around the passenger side area...I've been looking around where the heater core 'box' would be. I've got some boxie thing with two wires going to it, but I can't seem to find the "reset" part. (thinking ahead on that one...it's not tripped, just need to know where it is.)

Lastly...Right in front of the two back seats there is a missing chunk of formed plastic on each side. I think it's below where the ash trays are. Anyone know what they use to be used for?

Thanks!

S-

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I can't help too much but here goes.
The fuel pump relay is AFAIK on the passenger side front inner fender, I think the green one.
Again...AFAIK, The inertia switch is a steel ball that breaks contact in a roll over, I never noticed a reset. It is under the rug where the floor junctures with the firewall and trans tunnel.
As far as the plastic covers behind the seats, I noticed a floor jack and handle in mine when I first got it, passenger side. Unfortunately I lost the screw down handle part so keep the jack elsewhere now. The other side I don't know.

Richard

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Any pictures of these relays? Kind of not much help otherwise. However, I'm guessing those relays were to some of the stereo crap that was in it. Take the relays out and see if the truck still runs correctly, if so you know they don't belong there. I'm not that good with component locations as the only relay in the cab on my Bronco 2 has been sitting on my desk for about a month now LOL. I know there's a relay by the computer on the passenger side foot well, other than that I'm not aware of any other relays in the cab.

Fuel Pump Inertia Switch Location: located under the dash in the passenger foot area, just at the front edge of the carpet. Haven't been able to find anything in more detail and my Bronco 2 doesn't have one so I can't take a picture.

Last edited:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6

Those are the two mystery relays. (3 if you count the one with the two taped together.) I haven't check to see if these are "HOT" or not, can't find most of the test stuff I used to have.

And of course, you can see what appears to be a factory relay behind the taped together ones. (at least that was in a socket).

Any ideas?

S-

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Those are something that the previous owner installed, factory relays are mainly under the hood, and the only relay I know of that's in the cab is on the passenger side behind the kick panel where the computer box is located. Those definitely aren't factory relays you should be able to just remove them. Not sure what that other relay is with the factory plug on it, maybe someone with a newer Bronco II will know. The other 2 with the wires just quick connect attached definitely don't belong there though.

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
The 2 taped together look like they may be for an aftermarket alarm... You have power locks?

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Yes, factory power everything. I'm not aware of any alarm the truck may have had in the past? I know it has screw holes coming out the wazzo in the back of the truck near the 'hatch'. I know the signs of a lame sub woofer and amp install. Plus I'm still finding wires under the carpet disconnected for old speakers and crap like that. I'll most likely leave them alone until it gets warmer out. Just wondering what they could have been? I can have someone run the windows and locks and see if the one factory type is for those.

S-

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
That "double relay" set-up looks like the common way to tap into Ford power locks on an aftermarket alarm.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Yeah i think that hole in the panel is the jack area cover and i think the one on the other side is a vent or something