•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Upgrade to super runner steering or no

Broncojumper87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have an 87 b2 that I just installed a 4 inch lift on it anyway all the front end parts need replaced ball joints tierods ect. Should I even bother with Oem replacements or hold off on the super runner steering tell I upgrade to a d35.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Can you even find one? Last I heard they were very very hard to come by, used and new.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
What's the one brand of steering tie rods that has the same geometry as the I beams?

Broncojumper87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I didn't realize they were hard to come by did a google search and bronco grave yard sales them but if I would of scrolled down further I would of seen OUT OF STOCK so I guess I
Jut answered my own question

AgPete139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
I have the Superrunner Steering setup, and it is great. It nearly eliminated all of my bumpsteer, and I have equal turning in both locking directions. Alignment is in place, and I've never needed to adjust it.

I initially bought mine 8 years ago, delicately-used, from a guy on DezertRangers. They come up from time to time, and bolt right into place. Service is easy with the greasable fittings, and this is on ~ 5.5" coil (with other lift components). I used a standard 4" drop pitman arm (not the Skyjacker 6" Extreme Drop #FA006 or whatever), and it performs well on & off road.

For my particular setup, like Legosm, I need ~another additional 1-1.5" plate drop on my centerlink portion where my tie-rods pop in. This is for me to achieve exact geometry (look at the Tech Library for TTB Steering), but this is more than close enough. It's a vast improvement over the old inverted Y link stock setup, especially since I'm on 35" tires.

For good steering, look up Stonecrusher steering on TRS. Here's an example of one of the threads, showing the setup:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113029

If I were in your shoes, I'd be doing this if I couldn't find the Superrunner kit.

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The superrunner steering system is just back ordered. If you call Superlift thaey're just back ordered on the centerlink part. You can go to Summit racing and it's 299.95 with free shipping and handling. Takes about a month or so to get.

I just bought Legoms013 setup for my Bronco II

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
They pop up from time to time. I actually just sold my old super runner setup to JOSEPH169!

Keep in mind mine had been heavily modified to use gm 1-ton tie rod ends and 1.25" OD 0.25" wall tubing, tapped to accept the 7/8-18 TPI rod ends. Also I built a heavier duty idler arm that used the standard Chevy leave spring poly bushings. And I dropped the pivot mounts 2.5" so my tie rods were flat. In addition to that I made the rod end on the centerlink replaceable too with a standard Ranger passenger side knuckle tie rod end.

I ran that setup for over a year maybe two I forget and it kicked a$$. Minimal bumpsteer and rock solid.

Last edited:

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
They pop up from time to time. I actually just sold my old super runner setup to JOSEPH169!

Keep in mind mine had been heavily modified to use gm 1-ton tie rod ends and 1.25" OD 0.25" wall tubing, tapped to accept the 7/8-18 TPI rod ends. Also I built a heavier duty idler arm that used the standard Chevy leave spring poly bushings. And I dropped the pivot mounts 2.5" so my tie rods were flat. In addition to that I made the rod end on the centerlink replaceable too with a standard Ranger passenger side knuckle tie rod end.

I ran that setup for over a year maybe two I forget and it kicked a$$. Minimal bumpsteer and rock solid.

I was lucky that you got to me this last weekend because I was actually gonna order a brand new system and mod it later on for my 6" lift.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
I was lucky that you got to me this last weekend because I was actually gonna order a brand new system and mod it later on for my 6" lift.
Should work out perfect for you. You might have to modify how much the center links drop but probably easier to just add a few washers underneath the coils if it drops too much. It shouldn't need more than a few if any. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I just got it this morning, gonna just clean it up a bit then buy new rod ends.