•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

V8 swap transfer case question

grimmity

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton
Hey all,

So I have been working on a V8 swap for awhile now and have run into a sticky situation. I took the motor, tranny and transfer case out of an 82 bronco and am trying to put it under my 90 BII. I have a 3in James Duff suspension lift and a 2in body lift on. I also swapped the rear axle and front TTB setup from the 82 bronco. Had to modify the drop brackets a bit but it sits nice now.

My original plan was to just slam everything under the BII frame and body but apparently the transfer case is to wide for the BII frame rails. I got ahold of a NP205 but it is not matching up to the tranny. So now I have the original transfer case from the 82 and an NP205. I got rid of the original 2.9, tranny and transfer case as swaps for help on the project.

The motor and tranny are in. The running gear is in and lined up nice. All of the suspension is bolted in. This darn transfer case is my only hold up. Any ideas??

Edit: Added Pics

Attachments

Last edited:

Scott B.

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 / '06
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.0 L SOHC
Have you considered using a 1354 transfer case?

I can't tell which transmission you have, but can you adapt it to the smaller case?

I am using a 1354 behind my AOD in my Ranger. People say the smaller case will hold up to a V8 (mine is not running yet, so no personal experience...)

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
The 1354 won't bolt to a fullsize transmission without adapters. I'm taking it that your NP205 issue is the shift rail is in the way hitting the extension housing. No big deal just grind a notch out of the extension housing and bolt it up. If you are unsure where to grind most transmission shops have t-case gaskets and 99% of them have a tear out notch just because of the older NP205 setup. Trace the gasket and you are good. Hopefully that should solve your issue.

Matt

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
I have done this mod to a fellow TRS members truck i just did a v8 swap on, ill see if i can find a pic...

SVT

simonsays

October 2010 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I've got a 5.0 with f150 trans with transfercase in my ranger so u can make one fit in a BroncoII just takes some work. I had to cut some of the webbing off the side of the t-case and make it so the motor/trans is slightly crooked to the frame to give more clearance for the t-case which actually worked out nice for me because I have a 9in with equal length axles so my 3rd member was slightly offset anyways so now they are straight in line with eachother instead.

sent by another dumbass using Tapatalk.

madasmonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I bought an F250 and took the entire drive train from that and am still putting that in my ranger. 302 -> AOD -> NP208. I had to notch the frame for the NP208 to fit but being a t-case from a full size pick up it should have no problems.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Took over this build.....

Guys,
I'm doing the finish of this build for Grimmity. I got the X-case in. Turns out he has a T-18 tranny, not a NP345 like I thought. SO I modded the 208 case and frame rail. Now I'm looking for how to go about adapting the BII hydro clutch to the mechanical T-18 style fork. Anyone got pics, info on how you tackled this?

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Guys,
I'm doing the finish of this build for Grimmity. I got the X-case in. Turns out he has a T-18 tranny, not a NP345 like I thought. SO I modded the 208 case and frame rail. Now I'm looking for how to go about adapting the BII hydro clutch to the mechanical T-18 style fork. Anyone got pics, info on how you tackled this?
Grab the master and external slave off of a late 80s full size. Ford used them on the t18 and np435 so it will be a direct bolt on affair

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
A full size master will fit to the BII pedal assembly? Honestly never looked at a full size truck before for the master/slave setup.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
More importantly a fullsize master will match a full size slave. The cylinders have to be the same volume and stroke. If you start mixing and matching masters and slaves things will get weird fast.

simonsays

October 2010 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
More importantly a fullsize master will match a full size slave. The cylinders have to be the same volume and stroke. If you start mixing and matching masters and slaves things will get weird fast.
The only difference I have come across is different connectors I have a 88 ranger master cylinder hooked up to a 91 f150 slave cylinder and it seems to work fine.

sent by another dumbass using Tapatalk.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Alright,
I got the complete hydro setup from an 83 F-150. When I got back home and looked the bell housing did not have the bosses for the slave. Ahhhh the 82 did not have a hydro clutch. Dang, went back the next day and got the bellhousing from that same truck. Now the BII has the T-18 installed with a hydro clutch setup. Man was that a pain as the JD lift kit replacment tranns mount crossmember can't be pulled out to make way for the tranny to come out, grrrrrrrrr.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
oil filter relocation???

Okay,
Got the replacement bell housing in and the clutch all sorted out. Now trying to figure out the placement for the oil filter. He's got a L&L kit that is a bear to get to fit anywhere easy.... I see fromteh tech library the A/A adapter shows the hoses going straight forward. Looks like that's the ticket, and some more flexible hoses....

Last edited:

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Alright,
We wrenched all day and the truck is back together but will not seem to fire over. It's trying to start but won't catch. Verified the rotor is hitting no 1 on the compression stroke and the distro has not been disturbed since this motor was running in the donor. it has been a while since she was fired though. This motor has a an MSD 6AL ignition system and Accell distro. The motor ran strong before it was pulled for this project. We are getting gas to the carb but the engine just won't seemo catch. Pulled all the plugs and verified the gap and found that 4 and 5 seemed to be the only ones without raw gas on them. I know it has to bee something simple but I am rather tired and cannot seem to locate the problem. Any help?

sparky2eh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Ranger
Vehicle
1988 Ranger
Wild ass guess #1...... firing order..... probably already checked but still my guess :icon_confused: is it a 302 or a 351W/5.0HO firing order?
Wild ass guess #2......... are the plugs actually firing? Maybe dead plugs/wires/cap/rotor.......
Wild ass guess #3.......... MSD box, can't say I am personally a big fan of them they have been known to fail, well at least on me :)

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Also check the firing order to make sure its ccw and not cw...

SVT