•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

want info on 96 explorer limited v8

ironcop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
i've been thinking about buying an explorer to buy to lift up and have fun in the woods with. i was wondering if anybody could tell me about a 96 explorer that i'm looking at buying, and how easy would be to lift, i know the basics but i'm looking for parts. what would the axle be, the tranny, i know the motor is a 4.6L v8., transfercase? i guess my ultimate goal would be to run 37" inch max but i could settle for 35. i would appreciate any details thanks...

ironcop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
thanks that was good info, i was under the impression that ford had switched from the 5L in 96 my bad. but what else can u tell me.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
The Mustangs were switched to the 4.6 in either '96 or '97, but the Explorer retained the 5.0 until '02.

The '96 Explorer will be costly to lift. The lift kits for those years run anywhere from $2,000+ new. The only company who makes a $2,000 kit is Superlift. There isn't many options on lifting the '96-'01 Explorers. They use the same lift kits as the '98+ Rangers.

If you want an Explorer to lift and use off road, I would look into the '91-'94 Explorers with the TTB front axle setup.

ironcop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
tx thats exactly what i wanted to know. so i'm gonna look for 91-94. i wasn't sure if it was IFS or what.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
The '91-'94 TTB front axles are a form of IFS just like the '95+ SLA front suspension is. The difference in lifting is how the forms of IFS are mounted to the truck. The TTB front suspension is a good platform to use for lifting and off road use, probably the best IFS for off road use.

The '91-'94 Explorers share the same front suspension as the '84-'97 Rangers. That means you have a wide variety of lifting options for the '91-'94 Explorers.

If you do a spring over axle conversion on the '91-'94 (stock the setup is spring under axle on the Explorers), you can get 4"-6" of lift in the rear without any other parts. That makes lifting them cheaper.

Mac

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
thanks that was good info, i was under the impression that ford had switched from the 5L in 96 my bad. but what else can u tell me.
Don't worry about too much, I just found out this week that the 2000 Ranger came in both the 4.0L OHC and the OHV versions, who would have thought of that. Explorer's started coming with the V-8 in '96' also if you really want the power.
Happy Trails - Dave

Last edited: