•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Water on passenger floor board.

James H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
My credo
Hold my beer and watch this!
So, the wife is questioning how good of a deal the truck is now, I need to fix this fast and cheep. I have water on the passenger front floor board, it hasn't rained here for a few days. I pulled back the carpet, dropped the headliner trim and A pillar garnish. I though my rain gutters were leaking but I have no evidence of water or rust on the a pillar or behind the dash. The only rust on that side of the truck is on the bottom of the door. Any suggestions where to look?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Have you been using the air conditioning? Maybe the drain is plugged and water is finding it's way out and ends up on the floor.

Mer925

Reaction score
The other thing which could be worse is a bad heater core, which is usually in the passanger side dash. It lets coolant flow throw when you run the heater. Cheap but takes about 9hrs as a standard fix

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The other thing which could be worse is a bad heater core, which is usually in the passanger side dash. It lets coolant flow throw when you run the heater. Cheap but takes about 9hrs as a standard fix

I did mine in about 30 minutes. Two hoses under the hood and four small screws under the dash. The bulk of the time is draining the coolant and bringing the engine back to temp to burp the cooling system. I also replaced the hoses while I was doing it as mine were pretty old.

Mer925

Reaction score
I did mine in about 30 minutes. Two hoses under the hood and four small screws under the dash. The bulk of the time is draining the coolant and bringing the engine back to temp to burp the cooling system. I also replaced the hoses while I was doing it as mine were pretty old.
Hah well then muuuch different than when i had done it, but this is good news! Good luck!!

James H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
My credo
Hold my beer and watch this!
Haven seen any coolant go missing, and have no charge in the a/c. It's rained the last few days, and I haven't seen any water yet, so here's for hoping my magic wand worked.. lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 2WD
I had this yesterday. New-to-me '90 Bronco II, first time it had rained (heavily too) here in LA since I got it about 5 weeks ago. Drove off and on my first left hand turn heard like a river of water slosh around and soon after a large puddle of water formed on the passenger side floor. After some research I located an inspection plate/panel on the engine side of the firewall. Opened it up and sure enough the rainwater drain in the corner was completely blocked with about three handfulls of 'sludge/wet mud' (fine dust in the air here, mixed with water turns into mud). Cleaned it all out, cleared thd drain and I expect this issue will now be solved as the drain is at the lowest point in the cowl. If water can't drain it will flood the blower housing on the passenger side (which is what I figured happened when I drove and turned the car left, forcing most of the water that was sitting on the driver's side low point over to the passenger side on the right, then streaming into the cab thru the ventilation system). Now onto drying out the carpet!

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 2WD
Well spoke too soon. I'm sure that cleaning out the cowl was useful but I still get a wet passenger side floor when it rains. Now I will try resealing the windshield as the next likely sculprit. Wish me luck!

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Good luck.
If the detritus was under the cowl long enough there will be holes rusted thru in that area. Have you used a garden hose to try to duplicate where the water comes in?

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 2WD
Thanks. After cleaning out the cowl and drain, I did poor a lot of water into the cowl to nake sure it evacuated as it is supposed to, outside underneath the car, and it does. Believe it or not, this car has zero rust due to where it lived (Palmdale in Southern California) and the cowl is also like new despite the water not draining.
I will have the windshield replaced next week due to a big crack, and I can see someone has had a go at trying to caulk the bottom of the windshield before, so my guess is it's the windshield which is the original one. We'll know next week.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 2WD
Last Tuesday I had the windshield replaced and the tech showed me there were thin long cracks in the rain gutter seam filler that he said likely caused the leakage on my passenger side floor He said the old windshield glass was tight and not leaking. Later that day, I carefully applied 'Permatex 81730 flowable silicone windshield and glass sealer' along the rain gutters on both sides. Wednesday night it rained quite heavily again and where previously that would leave quite a puddle on the passenger floor and drench the carpet, this time the car stayed dry! So it looks like the tech was right and it was the rain gutter above the passenger door. He explained that this is the place where the roof panel mates up with the rest of the body and when the seam filler dries out with age and cracks, water seeps in there and will leak along the A pillar behind the trim, down to the floor. More than I would have imagined, but on close inspection the cracks were easy to see. If the Permatex silicone doesn't hold up I will thoroughly remove the old sealer and apply new, that should hold for the next 30 years I suppose.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
If this silicone sealer is 100% silicone then paint won't stick to it, and nothing else will either, not even more silicone sealant. Don't use silicone based caulk on cars.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 2WD
I don't mind if it cannot be painted, I am happy the leak is fixed.
From Permatex' site: "Wicking action silicone “seeks the leak”. Flows into hidden and hard-to-reach areas. Forms a tough, waterproof, durable, clear seal that is resistant to weather, extreme temperatures, vibration, shock and most shop chemicals. Fills surface voids and irregularities. Suggested Applications: Windshields, sunroofs, windows, headlamp assemblies, marine glass, RV vents and windows."

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Do you have a link to the product? Or a pic? I'd like to read up on it, it sounds interesting.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Thanks. I couldn't find anything on paint adherence but the instructions did say to apply a second time if needed. That means to me that it isn't a 100% silicone product as silicone won't adhere to silicone. So paint will probably adhere fine.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 2WD
According to Permatex site technical information, it is Polysiloxane which is the more technical term for silicone.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Thanks for the info. I'm not a chemist. I only have personal knowledge from the trade i work, which is exterior residential siding and home renovations. Any tube of caulk you buy from a hardware or lumberyard that says "100% silicone" will not stick to itself after being cured. Nor will paint stick to it either.
It is something I didn't know about for the longest time and caused some problems for me in my job. So now I warn people about this.
Sorry for the thread jack.
PS, next time I need a seam sealer I will try the product you posted, it looks like the right stuff.