•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

water pump for the 5.0/Bronco II

rktmn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Hello everybody. I came accross this forum while searching for a new reverse rotation, short neck water pump for my 5.0 Bronco II.

I built it about 12 years ago, and at the time, I installed a water pump from Stewart Components. The first one lasted about 10 years. Since then I have sheared the impeller on three different pumps. I have been looking for another source, hopefully a high performance pump.

Any suggestions?

Here is a list of my mods:

88 Bronco II 4X4
92 FI 5.0 V8 engine HO
T5 WC 5 speed transmission
Advanced Adapters transfer case adapter
Borg Warner T56 transfer case
9in Currie rear end /4.56 gears/ Auburn differential/ Lincoln Continental rear disk brakes
Currie /Dana 44 twin torsion beam front end/ True Track differential/ 4.56 gears
Boxed frame/6 point roll cage
Spal electric fan
85 Lincoln Continental electric seats
Remote oil cooler
Remote oil filter
L&L solid engine mounts
L&L headers
L&L remote oil filter adapter
3” exhaust Moreflow catalytic converter
15X10” Mickey Thompson/Alcoa aluminum wheels
33X12.50 15 All Terrain Tires
Smittybuilt front and rear tubular bumpers
6 rancho 9000 adjustable shocks
2 ½ inch Rancho suspension lift
1” solid aluminum body lift
Perry Fiberglass body kit
3M tinted windows
Alpine sound system/ Quarts & Boston Acoustic speakers/Punch 400 W amp

Here is a link to some old photos:

http://groups.msn.com/JoseAFernandez/884x4broncoii50efiho.msnw

I am in the process of refreshing the truck again. I just had the tranny rebuilt, I need to take care of some rust, and I am changing the color of the interior.

Anyway, I am stuck at the water pump right now.

HELP

www.jafphotography.com

rktmn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Thanks pro94, I'll look it up.

The pump cannot measure more than 4 1/2" in OAL, otherwise it will not fit.

I have not been able to find the dimensions on this one, but I will call them up today.

rktmn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Well to anyone interested:

The pump that pro94 suggested is a standard length pump so it so it does not fit my application

I have an aluminum radiator from James Duff in the stock location, and I use an electric cooling fan, so I am forced to use a short neck water pump for lack of space.

I ended up calling Stewart WP again and convinced them to build me a custom high flow water pump based on the the short neck version.

The new pump has a cast iron impeller as opposed to the other pump which had a sheet metal impelled. The sheet meatl impeller would flex inside the housing and come into contact with the housing, causing it to sheer off.

I hope that that this new pump should solve the brakeage problem and should also lower my summer engine temperatures a bit.

rktmn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Just to finish off this thread.

The water pump I bought from StewarT works great. The body is cast iron rather than aluminum. The impeller is also cast iron. The pump is a brute.

I replaced the brass radiator with an aluminum one I picked up from James Duff, and I inatalled a high flow 165 degree thermostat.

My engine temperatures have dropped about 30 degrees. Water temperature hovers between 165 and 185 degrees. It use to be 220. The electric fan only turns on in traffic. It hardly ever turns on at highway speeds.

In the summer, the engine used to hit 240 degrees. Lets see how this system works this summer.

Stewart Components did not have this partucular CCW rotation pump in their line up, but I talked them into putting one together for me.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
if you have this problem again, look into the explorer water pump/acc drive setup, i understood they add a bunch of clearance.