•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Weird idle issue

Greenstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
So I had rebuilt my entire top end after finding water in my oil. Got the new gaskets in, rebuilt the heads, polished and lapped the valves, did the valve seals, intake manifold gasket, etc. When I went to install my carb I noticed that the front passenger side leg had broken off. I sad screw it and I put the carb in anyway. After getting the distributor in the ballpark of "good timing" I fired the engine up and after tweaking the distributor's position I got it to run smoothly throughout the rpm range. Turned everything off and went to bed.

The next day, I went to show my friend what the engine sounded like and it did not want to start. When I finally was able to get it to run, I had to keep the pedal at least halfway down and it ran so rich my eyes were burning. I thought maybe the timing went out so I readjusted it and it still ran like crap.

If it's the carb I think I'll just spring the the duraspark conversion. Not sure what else it could be.

3rd Petal

Reaction score
How big if a chunk broke off the carb? Maybe you have a vacuum leak right there under the carb now

86b240

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 what else??
My credo
Win some lose some
You broke the carb and used it anyway? There's a whole list of reasons why this isn't advisable. It won't run because air isn't flowing through the carb its going under it and the mix is off because of it.

Greenstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
How big if a chunk broke off the carb? Maybe you have a vacuum leak right there under the carb now
It was a pretty small piece. Underneath, there weren't any places it could leak from, it was all sealed off from the rest of the system.

I think I know what the problem is though. My fuel pump is toast and the carb isn't getting enough gas.

Greenstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well, it wasn't the fuel pump. I tried using a JB weld on the broken piece but it failed... Is there a better way to repair it?

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
I have a spare carb if all else fails. Just let me know.