•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What is this pipe that connects the two heads?

RngTrtl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have a 1989 5.0L HO that I am putting in my Bronco II. Can anyone tell me what this connector pipe is that runs between the two heads? Mine is obviously broken. Do I need to replace it or can I just remove it and block the holes? Many thanks!

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Remove it and plug it with 2 spark plugs. It's smog equipment so be careful if the truck needs to pass an e test

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
egr.if you have to pass smog you will have to keep all that crap.
may be wrong,iam running a carb.

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It is not EGR. It is an A.I.R. tube. There is an air pump that injects air into the exhaust ports, there are passages into each port from there. most people plug the holes. The holes are threaded, 9/16 nc I believe. The threads will be filled with carbon. You need to tap the holes first.

Mac

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The actual hole size is 5/8-11 so just use a short bolt or set screw and yes they will be filled with carbon. Not everyone has a tap laying around that big but you'll get that bolt in.
Dave

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Vehicle
Ford
That is also a $20 part at any parts store. It would be easy and cheap enough to just replace it.

RngTrtl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I really appreciate all the responses! The technology of cat convertors has increased tremendously since 88 so I am pretty sure that sleep at night by running cats. No inspections here in FL, but I am gonna runs anyway. Thanks again.

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The actual hole size is 5/8-11 so just use a short bolt or set screw and yes they will be filled with carbon. Not everyone has a tap laying around that big but you'll get that bolt in.
Dave
Thanks Mac. Now that I think back, I bought the wrong size bolts and tap. I now have a 9/16 tap that I will never use.

I bought 3 short, 5/8 NC bolts, Cut a notch into one with a hacksaw, Ran it in and out until the threads were clean enough that the bolts would go in.

Last edited:

Mac

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That's the cheap and easy way to make something that will clean out the theads but it works, if you have a Dremill with the small cut-off wheel that works good also.
Dave

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Hey, "RngTrtl", I answered your post on RPS. Plugs are available through Summitracing.com. Go there and search on "thermactor plugs".

Mac

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I just had to look, they want $8.49 for each one! Little bit high for a hardware store item.
Dave

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Mac said:
$8.49 for each one! Little bit high. -Dave
No argument here on the price. But, it is the right part for the job - 5/8"-11 outside and 7/16"-14 inside for attachment of accessories if desired. If you went to a Ford Dealership Parts Dept., you might find the A.I.R. plugs available from 'em at Ford's price! If you have no intention of ever attaching anything at this location, just use 5/8"-11 bolts. Cut about 1/2" of the threads off of the end and slot 'em, where you cut 'em, for a flat tip screwdriver. Or, go to Lowe's / Home Depot and buy 5/8"-11 plugs. Whether for flat-tip or allen wrench - wouldn't matter. I'd suggest puttin' 'em in with thread locker.

Last edited:

Confederate Forge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
I took that thing off mine and cut the tube off the parts that bolt to the head. Fliped them over and put the right side on the left and vice versa bolted them right back to the head. That sealed them up nice and tight and was free.:icon_thumby:

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
I took that thing off - cut the tube off - Fliped them over - vice versa bolted them back to the head.:icon_thumby:
That's ingenious! But, still could inhibit set-back. FEAD and cooling fan might need every bit of room you can give them.

Hibs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
That's ingenious! But, still could inhibit set-back. FEAD and cooling fan might need every bit of room you can give them.
It's on the backside of the engine, how is it going to affect the room of the cooling fan? :dunno:

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
What the hell? No one has some old spark plugs lying around? They're free. They thread right in They're free. Why are you guys trying to reinvent the wheel and make extra work? Oh, and did I forget to mention that old spark plugs are free?

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
It's on the backside of the engine, how is it going to affect the room of the cooling fan? :dunno:
Wade said:
But, still could inhibit set-back. FEAD and cooling fan might need every bit of room you can give them.
The "inch" (or so) that the Thermactor Tube takes up on the rear of the block is just an "inch" that the engine could be set back toward the firewall.
Giving you more room at the front for FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive) and Fan clearances. Does that make it easier to understand?

Hibs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
ah gotcha, didn't catch that the first time i skimmed through it.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
spark plugs arent right but ive used em in a pinch with some silicone.the threads are a little small but work if you dont crank on it too hard. but even with the porcelin broke off i wouldnt try that in a bronco II. itll be tight enough without adding more shit back there. the plugs from ford are best