•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Where is T-Case Control Module? 87 BII

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just replaced the transfer case shift motor on my electric shift 1987 BII. No go. No shifting into either 4x4 or LOW, and no clicking.

I've read threads that refer to an under-the-hood fusebox, but my BII doesn't seem to have one there (all fuses under the dash are A-OK). Is there one under the hood with a 4x4 fuse? Where?

Also read about the tcase control module, but where is it? I've located a metal box (~4" x 6") beneath a small removeable panel on the body behind the drivers seat, but 1) I'm not sure this is the tcase control module and 2) it doesn't seem to open.

Any direction/advice appreciated.
Thanks.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Is there a small access panel on top of your dashboard just inboard of the passenger side speaker?

AD

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I did always wonder what that compartment was you are speaking of AleenD.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
AD

Yes. There appears to be a removable panel on the dash, right where you describe.
Haven't opened it yet, and I won't get another chance to work on it until late next week, but I'll start there.
Does the "press the button with the motor running" procedure work with this type of control module (assuming it's there)? Is this some sort of reset?
Thanks.

CraigK

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Okay . . .

Flight is cancelled, so I have the day to work on the BII.
The snow is coming . . .

I found the T-case control module (under the panel on the dash as per AD). It has the white button and red LED. With the motor running, the red light is not on.

I pressed the white (reset?) button with the motor running, no red light on.
Power issue? Where might fuses for this unit be located? (All under the dash fuses are A-OK.)

Again, any help/advice/direction appreciated.
The snow is coming . . .

CraigK

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Where is the fuse???

I have rechecked my underdash fusebox (fuse panel), and all fuses look A-OK.

I have two POS Haynes manual wiring diagrams for "Electic shift control (typical)". Part 1 of 2 shows a 40A fuse(?) at #9 position of the power distribution box (I cannot locate an under the hood power dist. box on my 87 BII).

Part 2 of 2 shows a 15A fuse at #17 position in the fuse panel. I have a 5A fuse in the #17 position of my fuse panel (under the dash), as is shown by the 83-88 year fuse panel diagram.

Does ANYONE know how power is provided and/or fused to 1987 transfer case Electric Shift controls???

I'm getting desperate.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
I did always wonder what that compartment was you are speaking of AllanD.
That access panel in the gen1 dash is also where ford hid the "Premium sound" (complete crap) amplifier on 1gen Rangers and bronco2's that were
not equipped with E-shift T-cases (the two options were mutually exclusive)

I have that panel on my truck because I retrofitted it in as a convenient access...

AD

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Okay . . .

I shifted this thread to the Bronco II section, but am returning here for follow-up.

I located the Electronic Shift Control Module. (Under the cover on the dash.) At first I thought it was a power supply issue, as the red LED on the module would not light or flash when the "diagnosis/reset" was done (see 4x4 System Diagnosis in the Tech Section). However, on the 8-pin pigtail connector leading to the module I get a 12V reading between pin 2 (ground) and pin 8 (20A MaxiFuse) all the time, and 12V between pin 2 and pin 7 (Ignition Run and Crank) when the ignition key is in the on position. Therefore power to the module (yes?) and ergo, the module itself is bad. (???)

I also ran the 5-wire grey connector tests a,b and c, and they were all good, indicating the overhead switch inputs are A-OK.

So . . .
I seem to need another electronic shift control module. Does anyone have any spares? (That test OK?) Is this a common jy item? (There is one listed on ebay, but it's $70 with no return. Too much $$$, and too risky.)

Alternately, I've read about switching to a manual t-case, but can't a switch be made to just the manual actuator lever assembly? Without changing the whole t-case???

Any insight appreciated.
CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
No, the T-case is physically different.

the mechanical shift linkage goes on the front

The electric shift assembly is on the back.

AD

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
No, the T-case is physically different.

the mechanical shift linkage goes on the front

The electric shift assembly is on the back.

AD
while for practical purposes this is essentially true,it is actually possible to convert the electric shift case to manual.problem is,you need to do some machining and source some parts from the manual case.

the castings for the housings are the same,but the hole for the manual shifter is not drilled on the electric housing.the boss for it is cast in,though.

if this is drilled,and the hole for the detent pin is drilled then those parts from a mechanical shift case can be installed and the electric shift motor and linkage removed.the hole where the motor goes through would need to be plugged,but the shifter arms are the same.

i've done this conversion just because i had all the parts and tools on hand,but for practical reasons it's better just to swap in a manual case.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks guys.

Although changing the t-case seems like the ultimate solution, it looks like too much $$$ and work for the use of my BII.

So, it looks like I have to pick up an ESCM from a junkyard.

What years and models of vehicles have an electronic shift control module that will be interchangeable with my 1987 BII, 4x4, EB?
Thanks.

CraigK

jessezipper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
have you run tests to see if the module were bad from the transfer case section of the tech library???? my 87 ranger was doin the similar and my module checked out ok, next is the motor for me...