•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Wires crossed!!??

Brutal6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
1985 Bronco 2, 2.8, Duraspark converted, and I need help at the starter relay. I don't remember how the two smaller wires hook up to the starter relay. I know how the battery cable hooks up as well as the starter wire. However, there are 2 smaller wires that also hook either to one or both sides of the battery terminals on the relay! Thats where I got lost. Do they hook to the battery side of the starter relay or the starter side of the relay, OR do they both hook to the battery or starter side of the relay, or each one to separate sides of the relay???? If memory serves me here I believe they hooked on separate sides but I'm not sure.
I've looked at and read as much data as I can find but still can't find a definitive answer to my question(s). Hope someone has the same setup as mine or knows the correct answer.

TIA
Jerry

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
They're most likely power wires and need to be hooked the the battery side of the relay. If they hooked to the starter side... they would only be powered during crank.

Brutal6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks UG for the reply.

I do know that the smaller wires were on separate sides of the relay, I just don't remember which one went to which side! That being said, are you saying that all wires should be hooked to the battery side of the relay? I tend to agree with you based on my understanding of the wiring diagrams that I've looked at but I'm just not sure enough to be certain. I'm thinking that I will leave one of the wires disconnected and see what happens or maybe what won't be working ie ammeter or ? If nothing explodes or starts flaming up, I will hook both to the battery side of the relay and see what happens!?? Can you think of anything that should be hooked to the starter side of the relay??

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I just had a look at my 85 EVTM...

Nothing connects to the starter side of the relay except the starter cable that I can see.