•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

XJ leaf springs

throttlejockey689

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991,'84
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Has anybody attempted to use xj leafs in a B2? I'm searching for cheaper options to eliminate my blocks. A set of lifted xj leafs runs about 300 a pair while b2 springs are up above 500. I need at least 5" of lift.

I have found dimensions for xj springs, they are 2.5" wide like B2's and are within a half inch for eye to eye(compared to whats on my B2) The front eye to center pin is the same which to me means they will work just fine. The next snag is to determine how much lift in an xj spring equals my 5" need. I'm currently planning on getting a set of 5" xj springs. If they don't lift it enough then time for shackles. If they lift too much, well I need different coils anyways so I'll buy those to match. I suppose that if they are too soft then I'll make some xj/b2 hybrids.

This is all a brainstorm at the moment so if anyone has tried this or has some info they think may help with the figuring process then please pass it on

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
why not just get explorer springs

throttlejockey689

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991,'84
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
lifted xplore spring are too expensive and the goal is at least 5 inches without having to use longer shackles or blocks and from what I read xplore springs are about 1.5-3" of lift.

The advantages I see are that the xj springs are cheap(compared to ranger/b2) and they would be new(the drawback to that is they will settle a bit)

The area where I live you can expect to shell out a minimum of 150 for a set of xplore springs. I haven't ruled it out as an option, I'm just looking for a different solution than the normal.

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
If you could find spring rates to compare, that would be a start.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
why not just get some aal and exploder springs and compine them with your bII springs

throttlejockey689

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991,'84
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
because like I said, xplore leafs will run me 150 for a pair plus my time and labor to pull them, then the aal will add an additional 60-75. At this point I may be sitting at 4" if I'm lucky and get a good set of xplore springs, so then i'll be having to get belltechs to gain another 1.5" to hit the target of 5" or greater so add another 75 and i'm up there at 300 which is what a set of lifted xj's will run me. so going the xplore route will cost about the same but will require lots more time.

The reason for wanting away from the b2 springs-
-over 20 years old and sagging
-been subjected to severe axle wrap from having 5" blocks, a healthy 289 and 33's, I just dont trust them to hold up

I want to spend as little money as possible without chasing parts around town. Like I said I'm looking for a different way to get the lift, ideally I want to purchased a ready to install spring pack to reduce time and labor.

throttlejockey689

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991,'84
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
the spring rates I havent found so far it's been the assumption that an xj and b2 are similar as far as rear weight, the xj being the heavier of the two. Which is a guess but it wouldn't be a bad thing to compare the rates. Softer is not what I want but a bit stiffer won't hurt much, may help with me having full widths.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
why not just buy some cheap james duff traction bars?

throttlejockey689

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991,'84
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Because there's no gain, my springs are shot, they have been stressed and are a weak link.

It's the same as pouring 90wt in a 2.9 to quiet the lifters so you can sell it, but it just a quick cover up and the problem will surface worse later on.

Not to be an a$$ but I was asking for input related to the parts I'm looking to use, I am not looking for ways around doing it this way or around swapping springs. I have spent hours reading through past threads and searching the tech articles and know of other ways to gain the lift and get rid of the blocks.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Unfortunately I can't offer much but Colinrmitchell had pretty much the right idea. I don't know where to start looking for that stuff besides "Google".

I'm kind of appalled at how many responses have been directed towards something else from which you (pretty specifically) asked.

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i did the combining the BII springs on my old one. I had a buddy with an extra set of full size dodge leaf springs(I believe it was a few years ago), so i took my top eyelet spring and swapped it onto the dodge set and one or two other leafs from the bii's just for a little more lift, got about 5.5 inches of lift and got much stronger springs with the dual brackets the dodge uses too hold it all together. i am planning on doing it again too my current 86. you can pick up springs at a junk yard for like 15-40 bucks and then just buy a longer center bolt for them, like 8 bucks at advance i think... the springs are a little stiffer than lift springs but if your lifting on a budget... like me they work fine and even reduced some of the body roll when turning at a high speed, i used to drive like a manic in my old bii. lol, high schooler's can't help themselves some times when driving a 5 speed.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
63" Chevy leaves. Yes you have to relocate the front hanger towards the front of the rig by about six inches, but they're flexy as hell and you get roughly 4" of lift. Throw a Belltech 6400 shackle on there to gain your last inch or two of lift.

huntingman2706217

Reaction score
I only signed up cause i found ur question on google and figured i could help... Im actually a XJ guy from cherokeeforum.com... http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=18317 ... this may help you since the XJ leafs are so close... actually i didnt know and ive never seen anyone mention that the B2 and cherokees had almost the same leafs... im not sure if there is a link to it under that old thread but theres one out there that shows pretty much all the vehicles with 2.5in wide leafs and what there measurements are from the eyelets and center pins. hope this helps some in at least getting some different ideas... goodluck!

huntingman2706217

Reaction score
Also check craigslist... im picking up Rustys 6.5in lift leaf spring SET from a guy tomorrow for $150 and only 6 months old... hes swapping to a coil conversion for the rear so you can get even cheaper...

throttlejockey689

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991,'84
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well thanks for some positive input finally. The chevy springs I have ruled out, but it is planned later on for my ranger.

Lost86- Were they just stock dodge leafs that you used? Perhaps if I decide not to use xj's I'll look into doing it that way. I just wish the wrecking yards around here had the same kind of prices. $75 a pack is the lowest I can find springs at the wrecking yards here. So I just watch the good ol' c-list, if your patient eventually what your looking for pops up there.

Thanks to the XJ guy for pointing me towards some research material, I'll be sure to check it out

huntingman2706217

Reaction score
try www.car-parts.com also if you havent already. Its like a database for your local junk yards. Most give prices right there and most of the time there cheaper then when u ask in person. Also saves time in bouncing around all of them... the van springs are $20 a pack here in GA... You could actually swap around the van packs with the leafs you have now and probly get what your looking for in size... if you go with a XJ leaf pack try and find one from rubicon express, rough country, or rustys offroad, probly the better 3 out of all... although some share the same original maker your waste alot of time trying to find out whos springs are the same as whos really... Also after you install make sure you got the proper shackle angle... you may need extended shackles to get it... i know with the dodge van leafs on a XJ you need 2in shackles also to get the angle back... goodluck with your search!

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yeah i was told by my friend(worked at a 4x4 shop as the lift installer) that he took them off a stock 90's dodge full size, instead of just the one strap on the springs these had two big ones on each side i believe they where longer and thats why i swapped the top eyelet springs too keep the correct length... not sure what model or anything, and i could always be wrong i was like 17 when i did it, just make sure and pull measurements before you buy anything just too double check. hope it helps ya.

throttlejockey689

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991,'84
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It helps. Either route I go I plan to take notes and pics for a change that way if someone else were interested in this maybe it can help give them a direction to strat