•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1984 bronco 2 5.0 Twin Turbo Swap

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
So I have a lot of history with the compact ford trucks (ranger and bronco 2) not to mention a long history with Ford in general.

I have built 2 bronco 2s in the past and several rangers. everything from a lowered 4 banger to v8 swapped 1 ton axles. I always have had a soft spot for them so this is my build thread for my current little project. I'm awful at updating these things so ill try and keep it current as best I can but if you want to follow my projects the best way is to add me on FB.

This project is for sale at any point of the build. due to the fact that it gets worked on every day the price is changing constantly. contact me if you're interested in buying it.

This project was purchased as a "running/driving" :annoyed: bronco 2 I bought it with the following mods

-c6 tranny swap from F250 with a NP 205 T case
-Ford 302 with edlebrock intake/carb HEI dist/elec fuel pump conversion
-Dana 44 front axle with disc brake
-Ford 9 rear with drums
-8in suspension lift
-3in body lift
-true dual exhaust with magna flow mufflers (sounded very nice being unloaded)
-33x14.50x15 swampers with aluminium wheels

the problems right off the get go
-no interior
-no floor boards (literally ZERO)
-no charging system
-coolant leaking
-leaking left rear drum
-no working electronics anywhere.

soon after i realized the timing was way off and it was because the dist hold down was loose so i adjusted the dist and tightened it down and it died.... long story short they knew the dist had the wrong gear on it and so when i tightened it down it took the teeth off the cam gear. I didnt know this untill after I had completely tore down the 302 and did head gaskets because the oil was pure milk... so that was a fun experience.

I since purchased a EFI 5.0 H.O. out of a 94 mustang GT. I got it complete from the Maf to the ECU with all wiring harnesses. I got the old 5.0 out and dropped the new one in. It came with some nice headman shorty headers but I was going to need to notch the frame to clear one.. so my logical decision to avoid that was flip them around and put a turbo on it. well I decided to do a little craigslist searching and found a twin turbo kit for it SUPER cheap. kit included manifolds, turbos, pipping, intercooler, blow off, wastegates, clamps, and I think thats it.

So currently the motor is in and bolted up to the C6. and current changes to the motor waiting for the turbo kit to be delivered:

42lb injectors
90mm Calibrated maf
fresh upper intake gaskets
Aeromotive boost referenced fuel pressure regulator
deleted all AC and EGR

I've had to do some other odds and ends like make a custom power steering set up for the lines and pump to work with the bronco 2 gear box and customize the fuel system to make the truck side a return style for the rails.
I will be relocating the battery to between the brake booster and the fender to make room for the turbo on the passenger side.
I cut out a bunch of the front core support to try and make room for everything going in there... (Electric fan, tranny cooler, intercooler, griffin 3 core radiator) but im still not sure how im going to structure everything up there but it appears as much core support needs to be cut out ill have to hood pin the truck...

I also used a TON of aluminium to create a new floor in the truck. used a pile of pop rivets, bondo, and spray foam cans to seal up the floor really nice. I got a used tan colored carpet online for 40 dollars and used shirt tie die in a spray bottle to die it black. few layers of die and then rented a carpet cleaner to remove extra die and BAM black carpet for like 60 bucks when a new full black carpet kit is 380 plus shipping

spray painted all the interior panels black while I had them removed.

I got two cheap plastic racing buckets with foam pad covers and a pair of JSL 5 point harnesses for the front.

I drained the tranny and got a nee filter, and a shift kit!!! so i have put those in yet but plan to soon.

right now the motor is back together for the most part waiting for the turbo kit to start fabbing up other stuff. I have the engine harnesses laid out all over the garage floor because in the mustang there was a TON of stuff I wont be using from this harness but again before I modify the harness I need the turbo kit to know where everything will sit.

While dicking around waiting for turbos I got most of the lights in the truck working again and I pulled down the head liner panel. went and got spray glue and some black felt from the craft store and made a new headliner panel.

Thats the current progress

when I got it

after the rebuild with the cog drive, before I realized it had a ruined cam gear.

new motor as delivered

installed with the basic mods waiting for turbos. (yes i have been waiting with lots of time hence the "full retard" spray paint lol)

one of the harnesses

current interior (race seats havent been installed yet)

Last edited:

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Looks like a cool project...ill be watching

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Looks like a cool project...ill be watching
Thanks man, I'm picking up the turbos stuff tomorrow and should have most of it mocked up before the end of the weekend. I'll get some pictures up asap

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Don't think I've seen a Turbo b2 yet. Looks like a part breaking machine

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Nice project, cant wait to see the turbos arranged in the engine bay...

SVT

kaytor692

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford bronco ll
awsome project man cant wait to see more of it

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Liking the 2 in, 1 out ic...

SVT

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Liking the 2 in, 1 out ic...

SVT
its such a mess up front there trying to fit that griffin radiator, big IC then a trans cooler and an electric fan between the motor and the back of the grill... its going to be a SUPER tight fit

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
another updated. I've been really busy feeling thepressure to get the racecar ready for this up coming season and that pesky job keeps getting in the way but i did get the intercooler mounted up where I like it and began mocking up some plumbing for the intake.

I did have some misfortune with a falling object and the extreme cold in northern michigan making a window fragile... but oh well can't let set backs keep you down or you'll never be moving forward.

I also got the spacer for the turbo on the passenger side and another idea how to fix some spacing issues on the drivers side. I'm currently trying to devise a plan to fit the MAF in the intake tubing system because the lightning mafs like many have that square mounting plate on one side and its not as simple as cutting that off....

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
This thing is guna haul ass!