•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1984 Bronco II project thread

campy_caleb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey folks, I'm going to start a thread on here and little by little post modifications, upgrades, questions, and other things related to my "KnuckleBuster" bronco. I'll start off by posting a few interior changes I've made since I bought the vehicle.

Took the back seats out and decided that I'm going to level it out (still not finished) but I'm going to flatten it out and behind the front seats are going to be holes for subs to be placed in as well as some cubbies to put misc stuff inside. Then I plan to get some marine seats (fold up seat you find in a boat) and place 2 on each side facing each other so I can fit more people inside (its going to be a family friend weekend wheeler).

campy_caleb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This was from the other day with a buddy. We went out wheeling near my house and he had a decent camera and wanted to snap some shots. So here's a exterior of the beast.

So a little info on what's under the hood per say. Its got a 2.9L from a 87 bronco ii with a 5 speed. Currently all stock. Recently replaced dang near all sensors, as well as the fuel pressure regulator, and the IAC (idle air control valve). I might have to do the timing again on it after fixing all these things.

Now for the outside, its got a 2in body lift, running on 33's with mismatched tires all with 90% tread left. The front fenders where cut and I am currently looking for fender flares... but that'll be awhile. Its got a custom dark green almost military shade green rattle can paint job.

campy_caleb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Now comes the questions. So someone please tell me I'm right or wrong and I'm wrong what might be the problem.

So when I get on the free way I'll get to about 60 mph at what I feel to be 2k rpm or maybe a little more in 5th gear... going up the hill it drastically looses power. Like I slow down to probably 45-50 and have to down shift to 4th and I still slow down a little but remain high in the rpms. Maybe it's just me not being used to a small motor (I have a 69f250 with a 390 that hauls a** on hills lol. But if nothing is wrong and that's just how the motors are... slow... then please tell me. If not and theirs something mechanical that might be wrong please help. Thank you.

Also, when driving, I tend to heat up within like 10-25 mins to the middle temp in my temp gauge (some call it operating temp) but then on the freeway I get just a little above that. I replaced the thermostat, air filter is clean, and they head gaskets were replaced when the motor was swapped. The radiator is fine and currently the exhaust is running right after the catalytic converter... so almost straight piped. Any suggestions on that? Thanks again!

One more question, I was on the freeway the other day on a flat straight away and it would occasionally stutter... not drastically but you could still feel it. Any suggestions for that issue?

Geez. Minus THOSE issues... she is a pretty solid rig. I'm planning for a 5.0 swap by the end of this year after I do a SAS and put bigger tires on because it'll be on the trail and I am going to need a more reliable motor... not to mention more powerful lol.

3rd Petal

Reaction score
As far as power goes, that sounds about right. In my experience it takes 3 grand to push these things down the freeway. Back before I regeared mine, 5th gear was for downhill only.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the engine temp as long as its only a little above half. How old is the radiator? Even if it looks fine but it has some age to it, you could try flushing it out a few times to see if any crud comes out

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Also, when driving, I tend to heat up within like 10-25 mins to the middle temp in my temp gauge (some call it operating temp) but then on the freeway I get just a little above that. I replaced the thermostat, air filter is clean, and they head gaskets were replaced when the motor was swapped. The radiator is fine and currently the exhaust is running right after the catalytic converter... so almost straight piped. Any suggestions on that? Thanks again!
Make sure the fins in your radiator are clean and air is flowing through it. I had a similar problem. I took the garden hose and sprayed the crap out of the radiator. Sprayed through the front and back and got a bunch of dirt and sand out of it.

campy_caleb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
As far as power goes, that sounds about right. In my experience it takes 3 grand to push these things down the freeway. Back before I regeared mine, 5th gear was for downhill only.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the engine temp as long as its only a little above half. How old is the radiator? Even if it looks fine but it has some age to it, you could try flushing it out a few times to see if any crud comes out
I'll clean and flush the radiator out this week or next... that's a good idea.

campy_caleb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Make sure the fins in your radiator are clean and air is flowing through it. I had a similar problem. I took the garden hose and sprayed the crap out of the radiator. Sprayed through the front and back and got a bunch of dirt and sand out of it.
I'll do that as well. You think I might have a bad fan clutch if all else fails?

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
The power range/torque on the 2.9 tends to be at a higher rpm than your used to with the 390.
You could probably use gears as well with 33s