•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1987 bronco II running issues need help.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
so i have been workin on fixing this bronco for about 6 months now i am now stumped on what is causing my problems. anyways heres the deal it starts and runs just fine when cold once i drive it for 10-30 mins it starts to missfire i get black smoke and eventually it will stall. the engine gets worse the longer you drive it but if i let it cool down it would run just fine again. this is annoying.
so i just had the timing done and the distributor replaced out of a parts truck i had and that didnt fix my problem so i am definatly eliminating timing/tfi and distributor as my issue. i have replaced my coolant temp sensor my ignition coil my wires/spark plugs throttle position sensor the map sensor the throttle it self and the computer on the passenger side in front of the door
i am at a loss also my mecanic said that fuel was good too. any help would be good and no engine codes either.

Last edited:

Wasp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 soon to be 4.0L
Have you cleaner the throttle body and EGR... sounds like it's loading up with fuel. If the EGR and associated plumbing is clogged it might cause it to run rough

Have you checked for codes yet? (OBD1)

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
i replaced the throttle body and i havent touched the egr valve and no codes
but if the plumbing is clogged why would it run just fine until it gets warmed up

Last edited:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Try the O2 sensor. Mine did the same thing for a while and I eventually found the O2 sensor broken in half, she's run like a charm since I replaced that.