•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 BII Build

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
what sucks is that i was working on the front brakes and i had one of my calipers hanging on the frame. so while they were towing it, there's a chance it couldve fallen off or ripped the brake line. it doesnt really matter since i have extended lines i need to put on, but i wont be able to drive it home. it's gonna take A LOT of self restraint not to beat this tow driver into the ground when i get there.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
got her back tonight. i didnt wanna screw with having to drive it. on top of the front brakes not being hooked up, all the shocks are off and all of the bolts on the leaf springs are loosened. too much to go wrong. so i just had the ****ers that towed it tow it back to my house. the wife will bitch and moan until this thing is out of the garage, so good thing is that it will get worked on now. hopefully my insurance will cover the tows, we'll see.

and the coat hanger that the caliper was on fell off, so the caliper was just flopping around. good thing i had the 31's on it, otherwise it woulda be dragging on the ground. nothing broke though. still pissed.

i guess the good news is that i didnt break his face with anything i had in the garage AND i got to spend $200 on nothing

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i know, i know. it's been too damn hot lately and i just find other shit to do. if i'm in town for labor day, it's getting done that weekend.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
UPDATE...........finally

i've been busy as hell lately. i worked for 2 weeks straight after hurricane irene came through (i work in claims for an insurance company, not fun). plus, i run a home remodeling company on the side and i've been slammed every weekend doing work. if i can keep from getting sick, i can finally get this damn thing done. i'll toss up some pics of what got done in a bit.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
got it on some cinderblocks and 2x4's

pass coil out and radius arm unbolted

started on the driver side, but it was getting late

it sucks, i dont have much room in this tiny garage, i'll just have to make it work. hopefully i dont end up with it on top of me lol

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
almost got the front (driver side) beam out. the damn radius arm wont come out and i cant undo the axleshafts. :annoyed: i need another person.

i just have to undo the bolt holding in the pass side beam and then take the radius arm x member out and i can finally get that crap out from under the truck.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
yay, no more poop under the truck

the driver drop bracket is gonna be a BITCH, it's riveted in.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I'm not sure, but I think it's also welded in some places.

of course a grinder and torch can make short work of anything.

Robert

sent from my laptop

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
well all i have is a grinder and a sawzall lol. the torch i could have access to is an hour and a half away at my grandparents.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
pass drop bracket is in, that was the easy part.

stock radius arm x member is out. new pass side radius arm mount is tacked in place so i can drill out the holes. i may weld it in a couple places too, just as a safe measure, but it's gonna have 4 half inch grade 8 bolts attaching it to the frame. driver side radius arm mount is ready to go in, but i need to add one more piece 3/16" metal for bracing.

got 3 of the 4 rivets out on the driver side drop bracket. what a PITA. I HATE RIVETS. i'd have it in if it was just bolted like the pass side.

need to look into some new bumpstops as well.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
finally got the driver drop bracket in. those rivets were a bitch and a half.

so now, both lift brackets are in and the pass side beam is in. i have to lift up the front end farther though, the lift coils wont fit in there right now.

measured for my extended radius arms as well. just need to cut them and then tack them together and get all the bracing in. i wanna have this thing road ready by thanksgiving.

i hope it isnt too tall and i can get it out of the garage

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
same with my wife, except she isnt being quiet

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
factory pitman arm doesnt wanna come out. got the all the steering linkage out and the bolt on the pitman arm off (34mm socket if anyone is wondering). got a puller for the PA, but it wont budge, almost burnt up my impact gun trying to get it off. sprayed some PB blaster on top, hopefully it'll soak through and i can get it off tonight. otherwise i guess i'll try heating it.

got the pass side radius arm mount bolted in, just need to cut the radius arm to length, get the coil in and the pass side will be done.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
and i welded in the brace for the pass side drop bracket, that thing isnt going anywhere. i'll post some pics later

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1936/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V-8...Carbed/fo-barrel
factory pitman arm doesnt wanna come out. got the all the steering linkage out and the bolt on the pitman arm off (34mm socket if anyone is wondering). got a puller for the PA, but it wont budge, almost burnt up my impact gun trying to get it off. sprayed some PB blaster on top, hopefully it'll soak through and i can get it off tonight. otherwise i guess i'll try heating it.

got the pass side radius arm mount bolted in, just need to cut the radius arm to length, get the coil in and the pass side will be done.

LOL.....I rigged a puller for the pitman arm on my '89....tightened it til it sqeeked....NOTHING...went in the house...about 2 hours later I heard something that sounded like a .38 Special...pitman arm was laying in the driveway!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
LOL.....I rigged a puller for the pitman arm on my '89....tightened it til it sqeeked....NOTHING...went in the house...about 2 hours later I heard something that sounded like a .38 Special...pitman arm was laying in the driveway!
haha, that's what i'm hoping to find after i get home from work.

kris97ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 4.2 litre
Theyve always popped for me once i get tension on it then hammer the pitman arm by the splines