•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 BII Build

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L

this is basically what i'm building for the front bumper, the tube will be added later, maybe. gonna do just the plate first and see where i want to go from there.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
planning to start the bumper tomorrow (no work!! :icon_cheers:), so i went by 4 wheel parts after work today and ordered these guys:

3/4" thick with 7/8" pin, they should do the trick

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
started the bumper today....deviated from the plan, but i think it will turn out nice

the one time i try to use the flap wheel without gloves on, this happens. luckily it was an old one and not frsh otherwise it would've taken more skin off. it was crazy, i didnt even feel it when it happened.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
did a little bit today, couldnt work as long as would have liked due to it being easter and all. next weekend i have a wedding, so i wont be able to work on saturday and depending on how good of a time i have, maybe not sunday. might be able to do some stuff during the week though.

added some bracing to the back

i wanted to get more plate cut, but i ran out of cutoff wheels for the grinder, so i couldnt. i laid out all the cardboard though, so all i need to do is cut out the pieces.

cut the front fender too, i'll put some plate under it kinda like i did on the rear bumper.

here it sits for now

taking it by 4 wheel parts tomorrow to have them burn the d-ring mounts in, i'd have to do 3 passes per side if i were to do it with mine and i'd still be worried about it.

1986broncoiister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
looks good man i think i will maybe copy your bumper a little lol

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
gonna look great.
i'm thinking about modding mine to make my winch plate lower, between the frames.. like the ways yours will be. mine has a 2.5 inch drop down there right now... i might end up dropping it down more idk yet.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Suzuki,Inf
Engine Size
loving the fab work, keepm it up

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
went to 4 wheel parts yesterday to see about getting my d-ring mounts burnt in. they quoted me $95 trucking dollars to weld them in for me. i said "ok, thank's a lot, see ya".....looks like i'll be burning them myself. i may see if i can find a machine shop or mechanic that would do it for me.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just heat it up first, it will burn fine. Maybe add a bolt of 2 just in case.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
yeah i didnt think about that, i could throw it in the oven for a half hour and then put it on.....or doing a couple plug welds on the indside of the plate.....putting a half inch hole through it may kill my drill.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Its going to look good.
I think your over-worried about welding in the d-ring. I watched a show yesterday about the strength of carbon-fiber glue up vs a single spot weld. The glued c-f withstood 11,000 NM[?], the weld withstood 10,000. The tester said that he would lift a 2 ton vehicle with the two pieces attached without any worries. Seeing the strength of a single spot weld, I wouldn't worry about multi passes with a flux core welder, especially if the d-ring would have to be pulled threw 1/4" plate with weld on both sides.
Good luck,

Richard

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Its going to look good.
I think your over-worried about welding in the d-ring. I watched a show yesterday about the strength of carbon-fiber glue up vs a single spot weld. The glued c-f withstood 11,000 NM[?], the weld withstood 10,000. The tester said that he would lift a 2 ton vehicle with the two pieces attached without any worries. Seeing the strength of a single spot weld, I wouldn't worry about multi passes with a flux core welder, especially if the d-ring would have to be pulled threw 1/4" plate with weld on both sides.
Good luck,

Richard
that does give me some piece of mind. but you have to remember, the spot weld was probably done by a professional welder that is certified to do so. i'm a self taught amateur on my best day lol.

thinking about it though, it'll be welded on 7 areas total to the rest of the bumper. (4 sides on the outside of the bumper, and the 3 inside the bumper) if i heat it up first, turn up the welder as hot as it will go and then take my time, it should be plenty strong. my fear is having a d-ring/clevis mount flying through the air after the welds fail and killing someone.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yeah i didnt think about that, i could throw it in the oven for a half hour and then put it on.....or doing a couple plug welds on the indside of the plate.....putting a half inch hole through it may kill my drill.
I was thinking more with a bottle torch. The hotter it is the easier the weld will burn in.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I was thinking more with a bottle torch. The hotter it is the easier the weld will burn in.
like this? it's all i have besides the oven

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
well, that's a little slower than something like this

but i guess it'd work. lol