•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 BII Build

Boggin

Reaction score
yup these were probably 10 years old (truck was sitting for a few years) and i still have them in my garage with about 50% tread left. the most use they got was in snow and they done pretty good in it with the factory track-lock front and rear

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
i had michelins out last an s15... lol

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
if it stops raining, i'm gettin my new tires mounted/balance by my buddy at just tires tomorrow evening.

got the new ring gear installed on the carrier.

getting my exhaust flange welded up tomorrow too, gonna try and throw the muffler under there too

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
ring gear mounted on the carrier and new carrier bearings installed

i had to make a flange so that i can bolt my exhaust up, just dropped it off at a muffler shop to get it welded.....charging me $30, cant wait to get a welder

i took a regular piece of exhaust tubing and pressed it in my vise to make the rounded edge

matches pretty close to the gasket and y-pipe

i also finally got my lower ball joint out of my d35 knuckle, now i gotta go borrower a ball joint press from the old autozone i worked at to get it in

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
When you get a mig, be sure to save up enough to get one that takes gas, I got a flux core mig, I do love it, but everyone said I should have gotten the one with gas, I was told it is easier to weld with.

Good luck on your build, mine is on hold till it warms up a bit and I get the Mustang you of the drive way.

Robert

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
When you get a mig, be sure to save up enough to get one that takes gas, I got a flux core mig, I do love it, but everyone said I should have gotten the one with gas, I was told it is easier to weld with.
yeah, i used to have a flux core welder and it didnt work worth a crap...sold it on craigslist a while back.
i'm gonna get a hobart 140 i think, that should meet all my needs....they arent too expensive down at northern tool either

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'd get the hobart 187, might as well step up to 220, then you can do anything you want.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I'd get the hobart 187, might as well step up to 220, then you can do anything you want.
yeah, but that's another ~$300.....i dont know, we'll see how much my tax return is

oh and i finally got that ball joint out the knuckle you gave me. the little bastard didnt wanna come out, so i sawzalled off the bottom and punched it through with an old camber bushing, worked great lol

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
just picked up my new exhaust piece from the muffler shop. the flange will bolt to the y-pipe and the muffler will get clamped to other end......still wait to her from my buddy about gettin my tires mounted/balanced. after that, the lift is going on :icon_hornsup:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
trying to get everything cleaned up so i can install the lift here in a few weeks

i'm gonna throw the d35 under it when i put everything on

bolted up the exhaust as well, just gonna put a turn down pipe on the end of it and call it good

painted the diff cover as well, gonna get the gears in the 8.8 this week and put everything back together

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
gettin the d35 pig ready to go in as well.....replacing the seals and did the front yoke mod, or whatever it's called. grabbed them from work a while back, just havent gotten around to installing them

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
another slow weekend, still waiting to get my tires mounted and balanced. just been getting some of the drop brackets ready for some gussets, once they go in, i dont plan on taking them out to repair them......

i plan on getting the old pivot bracket welded to the drop plate. i dont want it to punch a hole in my d35 diff (even tho i do have an extra diff if needed) so i went to cutting, i'm gonna test fit it like this and if i need to i'll pull it out and grind some more off......and btw, silver sharpies work great for drawing on metal

i'm gonna add some gussets to it as well, i dont want anything going wrong with it.
gonna take it to my local welder this week to get that done, and hopefully my buddy will have time to mount/balance my new tires, then it'll be almost driveable!!!! FINALLY

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Lookin good! Glad to see my old drops getting put to use!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Lookin good! Glad to see my old drops getting put to use!
thanks man, your truck is lookin badass as well, i like those sliders :icon_hornsup::icon_thumby:

btw, did you ever have a problem with the drop plate clearing the d35 pig? i meant to ask you before i cut them up, but i kinda got ahead of myself

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks!

Yeah, I did, then I cleared it a little, sure you saw it. But then I added bump stops and didn't have any issues. Hell, I was jumping mine before the end of the D35. I would recommend bump stops.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
they are in the works, found some at autozone for pretty cheap

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
my D35 axle shaft u-joints were rusted solid.....took forever to get the clips out. i should've taken a pic of them before i started. the first one took 45 minutes to get out the old u-joint and put the new one in. only have one more to go

the spindles in the old ones were completely dry

Vanner1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I like this build, I'm thinking about axle upgrades for my ranger.