•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 BII Build

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I like this build, I'm thinking about axle upgrades for my ranger.
do it man, the 8.8 requires a little more work, but the d35 will swap right in. you can even used some of the old parts for the d28 when you swap it over.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
oh no, someone stole my wheels and dry rotted tires........no, i kid, i kid

just dropped them off at just tires so my buddy can mount/balance them for me. when i go pick them up i'm gonna see what he can get me in the 32"-33" size, i'm thinking the goodyear duratracs, but i'm not sure

kris97ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 4.2 litre
duratracs are a nice tire. good on the street not really loud on the street (which sucks for me i like loud tires) and pretty damn good offroad

Boggin

Reaction score
good year mtr kevlars. a few people here run them, including mountainmike and andres629, sweet looking tire

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
^
i agree, i'll have to see if my buddy can get them at just tires.....they have the duratracs in 33" flavor, but i dont know about the kevlar's.....we'll see

i think i have decided on going with 33's, i just got the 31's on and they fit fine.....i doubt they'll rub anywhere (i already removed my sway bar)

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
thanks guys, i agree, kinda makes me not even wanna lift it........HA, yeah right

i talked to my buddy at just tires a little while ago.......he can get me the kevlars for $175 a piece or the duratracs for $145 a piece (both 33x12.5).......so $580 or $700 depending on what i wanna go with. he said he could get me 12 months no-interest and i could probably pay them off in 6

i'll have to start stalking craigslist for some new wheels, i dont think i want 12.5's on the stock rim.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
more updates..........

been takin a class at work and the exam was today, FINALLY done with it, I HATE TESTS

just bought a locker for my aussie locker for the 8.8 from Foxracin

gonna try and start installing the lift on sunday as well after i pick up a high lift jack and some cinder blocks.

time to get this mofo on the road!

Last edited:

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Keep up the kickass work man.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Keep up the kickass work man.
i'm trying!! me and the wife are moving next weekend, so this is my last weekend for a few weeks to work on it.

i'm tryin to get the d35 ready to install when i do my lift. i'm doing the external c-clip eliminator on the d35. so i did the mod in the tech library. found the spring at a local echo dealer here in raleigh, $2 for it, so i thought i'd give it a try. went and got it this morning.

i'm gonna start installing the lift tomorrow

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
well, the lift got put on hold......it was raining and shit here last week, didnt have a chance to get to it. we spent this weekend getting moved into our new apartment-condo thing. i gotta build a new work bench and some storage shelves this week, but the new garage should work out great. plenty of room.

went and picked up a new present for myself as well. this should help get some stuff moving. gonna pick up new spring perches this week and get them on the 8.8.

it'll do 1/4" plate in a single pass, maybe a hair bigger if needed. should be perfect for everything i'd need to do.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
messed around with the welder last night, it is awesome. so smooth.

the first few welds looked crappy, i had a couple that looked alright. i decided to practice on the lift brackets that i wanna gusset since you wont really see them lol.

gonna do the pass side bracket tonight and maybe put some "armor" on the front diff

kris97ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 4.2 litre
when you do somthing that thick its nice to bevel the edges the weld penetrates better and lays down better. just ends up stringer and better looking

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Also, Slow down a bit, your moving too fast across the surface.

But I have NO training, but that is what my "welding for dummys" book says.

Robert

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah those welds do not look good...

You need to go slower, and be more consistent. You want a bead from one end to the other without any gaps, and I would do multiple passes with that welder.

With that little welder, I would do a half moon pattern all the way down the joint, that way the weld is wider and gets more of the piece involved.

See how this weld is consistent with no gaps, and is also pretty wide?

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
when you do somthing that thick its nice to bevel the edges the weld penetrates better and lays down better. just ends up stringer and better looking
yeah i know what you mean, i took my angle grinder and ran it in between the 2 pieces to make a little bit of a channel. i didnt do it on the top side where it has a 90* angle, but u did it on the bottom.

oh and the metal was a little thicker than what the welder says it can do, this was just to get out there and screw around with it

Also, Slow down a bit, your moving too fast across the surface.
But I have NO training, but that is what my "welding for dummys" book says.
Robert
yeah i caught myself going too fast sometimes. my helmet isnt doin a good job blocking out the brightness so i couldnt go at it long, i need to go get a new one before i do anymore. i think i may try one of the auto darkening ones, but i'm not sure. part of me doesnt trust them though, lol.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i dont think i can get them to look that good with flux core, can i? it splatters all over the place......i think i need a shielding gas

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You CAN get them to look that good. I do it all the time at work. My multi-million dollar company is too cheap to buy me a few hundred dollar bottle setup. Ha ha.

Like Black B2 said, make moon shape passes, take more time, rest your wrist on something to help keep your passes consistent, and make sure your gun tip isn't too far away from the work piece (3/8" ish) is what I try to maintain. If it's too far away, it'll splat and pop. Make sure your feed rate isn't set too high either. That will cause popping as well.

-Denny

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
You CAN get them to look that good. I do it all the time at work. My multi-million dollar company is too cheap to buy me a few hundred dollar bottle setup. Ha ha.

Like Black B2 said, make moon shape passes, take more time, rest your wrist on something to help keep your passes consistent, and make sure your gun tip isn't too far away from the work piece (3/8" ish) is what I try to maintain. If it's too far away, it'll splat and pop. Make sure your feed rate isn't set too high either. That will cause popping as well.

-Denny
well i just need to F with it a little i guess. i havent made my new work bench yet, so i had to kneel on the ground with my wrist in the air.

i may slow down the feed rate a little too