•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 Bronco 2 XLT shuts off

88broncofm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just joined this thread, but i have no where else to turn. I recently bought an 88 bronco 2 with the 2.9 fuel injected v6, 5 speed trans, and push button 4wd. The day i drove it home, it ran great. the previous owner had told me he replaced both fuel pumps(in tank, and high pressure)-and they both kick on. the vehicle had sat for months. the next day driving, i could have sworn i had run out of gas(bad sending unit so i dont know). I got a gas can and put 3 or 4 gallons in. drove fine the rest of the day. that night driving home from work(about 10 miles) it shut off the same way 5 times. i checked the timing, and its good. all plugs, wires, and distributor cap look new. also new battery, water pump, and alternator. that night as i was checking the timing i found a crack in one of the fuel lines feeding the fuel pressure regualtor(which is new too). i fixed that problem. next day, same shutting off issue. i figured id poke the scrader valve the next time it shut off, i did, and all i got was a hiss...:annoyed:. i replaced the fuel filter on the drivers side of the engine in the frame rail, and made sure it had no leaks near it. same with the lower fuel bowl(which is pointless on an 88). next day and a half it drove fine after i put 70 dollars in the tank. about 20 gallons. then that 2nd night, it decided to shut off again. and AGAIN now fuel to the rail. i had it towed home and this weekend i was going to check wires for fuel pumps, replace ignition module and i dont know what else...any advice on what to check next would help. and it only seems like it shuts off not long after i run her hard. thanks ill be waiting to hear from you.

88broncofm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
oh and i forgot to add, as it starts acting up it misfires bad...and when i push the gas pedal down it loses everything and falls on its face. inertia switch?

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Not an expert by any means but I did have the same issue you're describing years ago with my '88 and it did end up being the inertia switch in my case. Every time the truck got warmed up the fuel would shut off and I'd have to wait for it to cool down before it would start again. Chased the problem on my own for months before taking it to the dealer and having it tested. Didn't even know there was such a thing as an inertia switch. It's definately worth checking if you haven't already. It's in the cab, passenger side, under the dash and it's got a reset button that you could try pushing next time the problem occurs, although it might just keep triping until the truck cools anyway. My 2 cents. Hope you get it figured out.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
same with the lower fuel bowl(which is pointless on an 88).
Ok, so you aren't all that familiar with how your fuel system works.

It's a reservoir. The high pressure fuel pump can spin up a lot faster than the in-tank unit and without the lower bowl can easily outrun the in tank pump when you smash the gas. That reservoir is there so the high pressure pump has a little something to draw on while the tank pump gets up to speed. It's not pointless.

I'd put a jumper or paper clip or something across the inertia switch and see if that helps any. If not, I'd look into the relay. It may be getting weak and cutting out as the magnet overheats.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I had a problem with my b-II/4.0 in that the original owner used non-gas rated line to connect a high-pressure intank pump to the original lines. The line split and I would get a max of 20 psi fuel pressure. I'm not saying that's the problem but you never know what exactly was done in the previous owners repair efforts. I cut the floor to access the tank and covered the hole with a slightly larger cut-out from another b-II;

Good luck,

Richard

jrpdash9

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
that happen to me to it was the fuel relay

fritolay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
maybe peaple have problems with small complex problems my 85 every year just shut down lose at the ignition switch wont keep holding power on meaning the ignition mechanism down to the switch itself does this shuts power right off (wont stay engaged ) loss of power to ignitions system MY 88 bronco 2 has a relay replace it (bad points) same as the fuel pump relay'' both the same ignition(--) fuel coil inertia relay hold down (dirty points ) is it simple my 88 and 85 both broke down found ignition fell apart mechanism wont stay engages--- happens with i just picked up--- just whrote an article about seeming loss timing issues found wont start with timing being 180 degrees off a previously set up timing ( cant fake it) gotta set timing through # 1 t.d.c.--fuel pump has two filters and a secound pump to keep up with speedy fuel delivery framed when needed puff circulated problems probelly guessing

fritolay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
alway put in a new coil fixed problems

fritolay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
owner 88 bronco 2 have had a ranger 4x4 5 speed fixed gearing and drive train

i have been driving an 85 for 15 years transmissions clutches gearing overdrive, head, exhaust,computer,relays needed vacume ,wiring etc., 2.8 liter 171 hourse power same as a 302..now drive a 88 bronco 2 2.9,impressive brakes abs--standard had been sticky how(--) 2 wheel drive with dummer transferre 4x4 case mounted 85 has a mitsibisie (borgwarner) traansmision had 99 ranger with 10 inch rear brakes 85 can accept that

Pbheadshots

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/8 mix
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i have been driving an 85 for 15 years transmissions clutches gearing overdrive, head, exhaust,computer,relays needed vacume ,wiring etc., 2.8 liter 171 hourse power same as a 302..now drive a 88 bronco 2 2.9,impressive brakes abs--standard had been sticky how(--) 2 wheel drive with dummer transferre 4x4 case mounted 85 has a mitsibisie (borgwarner) traansmision had 99 ranger with 10 inch rear brakes 85 can accept that
Your name should of Been mumblemouth

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
maybe peaple have problems with small complex problems my 85 every year just shut down lose at the ignition switch wont keep holding power on meaning the ignition mechanism down to the switch itself does this shuts power right off (wont stay engaged ) loss of power to ignitions system MY 88 bronco 2 has a relay replace it (bad points) same as the fuel pump relay'' both the same ignition(--) fuel coil inertia relay hold down (dirty points ) is it simple my 88 and 85 both broke down found ignition fell apart mechanism wont stay engages--- happens with i just picked up--- just whrote an article about seeming loss timing issues found wont start with timing being 180 degrees off a previously set up timing ( cant fake it) gotta set timing through # 1 t.d.c.--fuel pump has two filters and a secound pump to keep up with speedy fuel delivery framed when needed puff circulated problems probelly guessing
alway put in a new coil fixed problems
Are you drunk?

Pbheadshots

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/8 mix
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No joke; mumblemouth has to be inebriated!