•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 factory radio wire colors - not out of the dash but out of the radio

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
I'm sure the one harness is power but what are the wires for?

These are out of the factory radio (putting a 88 stereo into an 85).

Any/all help is appreciated.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
putting a 1988 Ford Factory Stereo Cassette deck in an 85

2 harnesses coming out of the stereo (one gray, one black)

the one with 8 wires i'm sure is the speakers

the one with 6 wires is gray in color and has the following wires and I'm trying to decide which one is power, etc.

pink, black, brown, dark blue, yellow with black stripe and red with white stripe

my assumption is red is constant hot but I don't wanna fry this radio...any help?

the speakers (i know what the wires are coming out of my 85 dash are but this one out of the factory radio are dark green looped into 2 holes, yellow, pink looped, red, and white

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Thank You for the Response:

Gray plug :
1. Red/white = 12 Volts Constant +
2. Blank
3. Yellow/Black = 12 Volts Ignition +
4. Blue/Red = Dash Lights +
5. Brown = Illumination +
6. Black = Ground
7. Pink = Power Ant ( not used)
8. Blank

Black plug
1. White = Left Front Speaker +
2. Purple loop to slot 4 = Left Front Speaker -
3. Red = Left Rear Speaker +
4. Purple = Left Rear Speaker -
5. Blue = Right Front Speaker +
6.Green loop to slot 8 = Right Front Speaker -
7. Yellow = Right Rear Speaker +
8. Green = Right Rear Speaker -

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
So, here's my question:

Blue/red out of my truck - do I wire the brown only to this or do I wire the brown and the blue/red together to the blue/red out of my truck?

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Well, I've got it in...best I can figure is the negatives were looped together so once I had 4 wires left each side I could figure out which speaker was driven by each wire by hooking them up until corresponding speaker played.

The display is dim; clock works and had to cut my faceplate to fit the different size...the sound is better than the 20 something year old clarion maybe...radio stations from afar don't come in as good. The time stays on even when the truck is off - is that normal?

Good news, it's stock in there...better news...I'll just go buy a new one and put in...I want to see the display without straining older eyes as well as now that I know what wire goes where it won't take as long...managed to find out the front left speaker is blown once wired up.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just worked on my 88's aftermarket radio. Brown wire is the wire from the headlights. You turn on the headlights and the radio lights dim. No 12 on the brown and the radio is full brightness.

I'd say that if the display is dim all the time, you have a full time 12v hooked to the radio illumination wire.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
I just worked on my 88's aftermarket radio. Brown wire is the wire from the headlights. You turn on the headlights and the radio lights dim. No 12 on the brown and the radio is full brightness.

I'd say that if the display is dim all the time, you have a full time 12v hooked to the radio illumination wire.
Ok, wiring is not my forte...when you say "No 12 on the brown and the radio is full brightness" - what does that mean in layman's terms (and I am dumb) so spell it out for me - does it mean no 12 volts and it should illuminate the push buttons and the display?

I did not hook up the dash lights (blue/red) to any positive - is that my issue or should I not hook the brown up at all? I can go try both and see what happens...

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
So, I plugged and played with the brown and the blue/red - when I put power through the ignition wire with the blue/red from the radio - I got lights on the radio. The brown coming out of the radio did nothing. The wire coming out of the power assembly did nothing no matter what I did with it...thinking it might be a ground...but the antenna gives me a ground so it works.

The push buttons are illuminated and the bass/treble - still can't read the display - probably the bulb is burnt out.

I will get the parts for that and replace them and see what kind of lights I get in the display. More than likely, I will buy a new radio to put in but this gets me in the better than before mode. I have a great Dodge radio out of my wife's van that works flawlessly but I would have to enlarge the hole, etc. and just don't think that will work (going to build a box for it and put that one in my jon boat).

Thank you for your help!:yahoo:

Still got to find a fitting speaker for that blown one, but I'm getting around to it.:icon_thumby:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford