•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1989 bii

gimedic1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I bought a '89 BII that was sitting for 6+ years, Dropped gas tank,new tank & fuel pump, cleaned out fuel filter. Drove to Wally World I could hear valves sticking. Pulled off valve covers, spent 3+ days scrapping CRUD off the heads, another day cutting off valve cover gaskets(rubber w/ permatex) Poured Kerosene off the heads, Drained oil over night, replaced Oil drain Plug, Now when she runs, smoke coming out the Dipstick Tube and Oil Filler Tube,NO I didn't try to drive her.Some one said all the crud could block the Oilpump Screen. I added Marvel Mystery Oil and seafoam, The oil pressure gauge isn't moving HELP, P.S. Can I pull the oil pan without having to yank out the engine(2.9)

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
With all the sludge, it's probably a high mileage engine. The smoke out the dip stick is blow by, which could very well be the piston rings not sealing, again from a high mileage engine. Make sure the PCV system is working properly, if it is, the bottom end is worn.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
agree check pcv valve (Positive Crank Case Ventilation Valve)

gimedic1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
pcv valve

Replaced one PCV, blew out the other, I am afraid the bearings will sieze up, Running strong but still no Oil pressure gauge, Somebody suggested pour the WHOLE can of seafoam into the engine, Still looking for HELP..

old guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
First do you have the stock gauge or an after market mechanical gauge?

If you have the stock gauge it could be that 1) the port for the sensor is plugged and it needs cleaned out or 2) the sensor is plugged up. now there are two ways you can go from here 1) pull the oil pressure sensor and have someone start up the bronco II if you get oil coming out of the hole that the pressure sensor was in you have oil pressure and need to replace the sensor, or 2) just put a mechanical gauge on it and see if you have pressure.

Now once you find out if you have oil pressure or don't have any pressure you can go from there.

Now I have changed the oil pump in my first Bronco 2 with out pulling the motor all the way out But I had a 3" body lift on it so I was able to raise the motor enough to drop the pan down and pull the pump, this was not fun and was a pain to do and I would never do it that way again.

If you don't have a body lift on it you are going to need to pull the motor out to change the oil pump and pick up screen and clean out the oil pan. I would also check the bearings while I had the motor out too.

Now if you have oil pressure you could just be getting a lot of blow by from the rings or it could be just smoke from the left over kerosene that you put into it.

gimedic1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Replaced oil pressure sensor, got oil pressure in mid range, replaced plenum gaskets on intake no vacuum leaks, YEA!!! Will change plugs soon, she is running well but still changing Ilde speed, MORE Seafoam in new gas tank will try to pour injection cleaner into intake, THANKS FOR ALL YA'LLS HELP AND Advice, GIMedic1...

gimedic1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
1989 b ii

Replaced plugs, rewired time still losing power, I guess I need to check compression. I can get her up to about 25mph, but no pulling off power, HELP...

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Sounds like you are chasing ghosts, you will probably never "fix" the problem. Start looking for a parts explorer and drop a 4.0 in it. It will save you money in the long run. The swap is easy and pretty much plug and play.

gimedic1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Told to put a whole can of seafoam into the crankcase(oil) I put half but valves still ticking, but sensor is showing good oil pressure. Don't have $$$$ to put a 4.0L into BII. I have another 1989 BII that I been driving 4& years that I love bought 2nd one for fishing.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
First electric oil pressure systems are not known for always being correct. So really that doesn't tell you much. A bad , or several bad, lifter(s) will not be effected by good oil pressure. They will not pump up adequately regardless. Seafoam was an expensive try. You could have done just as good, maybe better, with a quart of transmission fluid poured into the engine. Run it about an hour and drain and fill with new oil. If they are still clicking, they would need to be replaced.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just throwing this out there but I have had lifter tick and oil pressure light flashes under 2000 rpm for 2 years now and she still runs strong (2.9L) I don't know if I would worry about it just for a fishing rig