•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1989 bronco 2 crank no start(new to forum)

Broncojonesn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
And when I replaced my coil I noticed a resistor of some kind that was bolted to the side of the coil bracket , it has one with that goes over to the harness and has a grey plug . Any idea what its for ? Maybe a noise resistor for the radio ?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Broncojonesn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks Jerry , I have checked the plug and all three wires on the coil , 2 wires together on one side and a single wire on the other side . One side was 12 volts and the other side pulses 12 volts I believe is what I found , it's been a week or so since checking it but I believe that's right . The tach spinning all the way around while cranking seems weird but then again usually it starts immediately when it was running right so maybe it's just what happens when your cranking for 15 seconds at a time

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
At this point I'd just be guessing and i don't want to send you down another rabbit hole. Hopefully somebody else will know what is causing this.

Broncojonesn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well, I finally got it running !! After heating the garage uncomfortably warm I think I got enough heat in the motor and it cranked , had the same miss as before but this time it blew the pcv valve out of valve cover on the driver side . I knew then what my problem was. I took off the valve cover and the rocker arm and sprayed the inside and around the valve springs and tapped them all with a rubber hammer a few times, repeated the process and let them soak for about 30 minutes and put it all back together and as soon as I turned the key it started and ran . I and a valve sticking !! One would think it's something a compression test would show but it was obviously an intermediate stick and it wasn't just stuck open all the time . It still needed alot of the parts I put on it and I shouldn't have to worry about replacing anything for awhile lol . Still have one issue to fix, I have a bad miss especially under load, I can turn the head lights on and the miss is even worse. It's almost as if you cut the key off and back on really fast. I thought it might be the distributor cap cause when I went to set the timing after getting it running I got shocked pretty good grabbing the cap , and even grounded a screw driver on the intake and got a blue spark around the top but after replacing the cap the miss is still there . I've checked all the wires they seem fine and they are new . I've cleaned every ground I could find and repaired a few, atleast 7 or 8 of them . I'll keep digging until I find it, it's strange turning on the headlights make it worse, I've checked all the headlight plugs and wires and didn't find anything. Either way it's running . Thanks to everyone that replied and tried to help. Maybe this will help someone else in the future .

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Sounds like a bad plug or wire, path of least resistance was to you instead fitting at the plug. Pull the plug wires one at a time, when you pull one and the engine doesn't run any worse, there's your bad one.

Broncojonesn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm glad to say the bronco is back on the road and running better than it ever has. Turns out the miss was simply the wrong tfi module on the back of the distributor. Mine was originally grey and the one sent with the new dizzy was black. I swapped them and all is well. Thanks for the replies and to Jerry for hanging with me .

whtknght

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
That is great news.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Good job of staying it with it, congrats!