•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1989 Bronco II Frame Repair

danisev

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Hello!

My B2 has some frame rust on the passenger side coil bucket (see picture.) I suspect battery goo leaked on it and corroded away the metal. I wanted to repair it, but would like to ask about anything and everything I would need to know to do so. All advice appreciated!

As it is right now, the vehicle is on the street, waiting for the garage space to free up from my brother and his Subaru. When that is ready, I want to take out the engine and radiator support bracket so I can have easy access to the area.

I was thinking of finding and cutting out a piece of another Ranger or Bronco II frame and welding and fishplating that in.

Does this sound good? Anybody know what kind of frames I can use to source my piece besides the exact model of my truck? Any advice on what kind of steel I will be working with and what kind of steel I should use?

Also, what would be the best way to support everything while doing this? A jack stand before the hole and one after?

Attachments

danisev

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I saw your thread but there were no pictures. I was thinking the damage on my frame near the coil bucket is worse than yours. Is that so?

EDIT: Just read further and one of my bigger questions is since the frame rail curves from the horizontal top to the vertical rail, how would you fix that?

I may hire a welder but from what I have seen it could be hard to find somebody for that around me, in New Jersey.

Maybe I am asking the wrong people but everybody says liability is a big thing and nobody wants to touch frame repair.

Once I get my truck in my garage and the coil bucket off, I will get a better picture of what I have to deal with and if I can do it myself.

Otherwise, I am researching the process and trying to hopefully find matching frame rail pieces to weld in.

Last edited: