•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1990 B2 and interchangable parts

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Okay, I have spent hours reading up on things and think I am more confused then before! (Doen't take much for me!)

So, here are some simple questions I am thinking about...

1) Will a 4.0L swap right in to my B2 as long as it is from the same year Ranger or Explorer? Wiring harness is the same so I wouldn't need that?

2) Will the auto tranny from a 4.0L Explorer/Ranger from 1990 also swap right in?

With these tires on I am just looking for a way to get some more power. I did an engine swap one time and it took a while, but I did it (1977 F-150). So I am thinking if I can find a cheap 4.0 it might be a good project for me and my boys.

If anyone has a good thread already started on swapping a 1990 B2 auto into a 4.0 that would be appreciated. thanks guys!:icon_cheers:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
To swap a 4.0 into your 90 B2 with a 2.9 you need a fully dressed 4.0 (complete engine including accessories, coil pack, etc). You will need the computer, the ignition module, and every scrap of wire from the engine bay.

A trans is not needed if you already have an M5OD, but recommended if you have an auto, and needed if you have an FM trans as the main bearings in the FM trannies are not designed to take the torque output of a 4.0.

I have heard a lot of people say that the 4.0 version of the A4LD was stronger, but have been told by people that build them that with the excpetion of minor changes to the valve bodies and electronics over the years an A4LD is an A4LD is a pile of junk.

Generally speaking the cheapest/easiest route to take is to find a wrecked or rotted Explorer from the year you want and buy it. Then you take the stuff you want, and once you get your swap vehicle running scrap the remainder.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Since yours is a '90, there is a 'plug and play' swap, if you can find a '90 Ranger with a 4.0. In '91, they changed some of the wiring.

But like previously mentioned, you need the engine, accessories, and the wiring harness that goes from the big plug on the drivers side firewall, around the engine bay to the power dist box, and then down to the computer, which you need also.

Now, you don't have to get the whole wiring harness, but I think it makes it easier, less wires to splice.