•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.9 v6 swap to a 2.3?

fangotango306

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
anyone ever swapped out a 2.9 v6 for a 2.3 4 banger. im looking to rid my bronco 2 of the 2.9 and put something else in it. i searched the forums and came up empty, my biggest concern is trans/t-case. what will bolt to the 4 cylinder? i have a 5 speed from a 98 2wd 2.5L truck. can i swap the tailhousing/shaft out from a m50d from a 97 ranger 4x4 and use that t-case?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
THE hard part of doing this beyond the obvious things (and less than obvious) like....

Wiring harness, Exhaust piping (Catalytic converter!) throttle cable...

The 2.3 radiator is "mirror image" to that for the other Ranger engines
(And very rare in the factory A/C HD core)

And the big show stopper is that the motor mounts on the 2.9 bolt directly to the engine crossmember, 2.3 mounts go to frame mounted brackets and what is ver y much less than obvious is that the frame side engine mount brackets for the 2.3 engine are completely different to fit the wider 4x4 engine crossmember, and no you cannot simply modify the
2wd engine mounts to fit the 4x4 engine crossmember, so an iron clad prerequisite to putting a 2.3 into a Bronco2 (or any 1983-97 Ranger Based Vehicle 4x4) are 4x4 2.3 frame brackets.

AD

fangotango306

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
mounts im not concerned with, i was plannin on fabbing those anyway, i have a few poly bushings and sleeves that will take care of that, and exhaust is no mind either, i have a 3" catco cat. planning on using a carbed/duraspark-msd setup on the 2.3. the trans/tcase is my only concern. and if i cant figure that out ill go with my stock 2wd 5 speed and a divorced t/case. thank you for your input!

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
No, you cannot use your V6 transmission. I would highly recommend avoiding the divorced t-case idea too... first you will have to find one, then figure out how to mount it, build shifters, a spud shaft, etc. THEN, you will find out that the t-case rear output is so close to the rear axle that it will be difficult to get any kind of reasonable pinion angle.

Doable on a Ranger? Yes, much longer wheelbase.

I think your best bet is to find a 4x4, 4 cylinder M5OD transmission. Otherwise you are wasting your time.

Why do you want a 4 cylinder anyway? Lot less work to do a 4.0 swap and you can reuse literally everything from your current drivetrain.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yeah I am curious to why would you want to downsize from a v6 to a 4 cylinder?

fangotango306

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i already have a 2.3 4 banger fresh rebuild with a 2wd trans, thats kinda the biggest reason. im wanting to get away from efi and ditch the a4ld setup all together. i may end up just doing a carbed 302/c4. gettin a lot of flack everywhere i post the idea of a 4 banger. thanks for the input's guys,. i got a lot to think about.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
300 six
I say DO it!

i already have a 2.3 4 banger fresh rebuild with a 2wd trans, thats kinda the biggest reason. im wanting to get away from efi and ditch the a4ld setup all together. i may end up just doing a carbed 302/c4. gettin a lot of flack everywhere i post the idea of a 4 banger. thanks for the input's guys,. i got a lot to think about.
I'm wanting to do the same thing with a SVO mustang motor turbo n all there is a link on here suggesting a 88 or later blazer T5 driver side FDS or maybe using my mustang T5 with a jeep tailshaft and transfer case.Both with a turbo t-bird bellhousing.:icon_welder:

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, just not really worth the work. I think a carbureted 302 is not much better, is this your daily driver? I assume so? A carburetor and 3 speed auto is a bad combo for gas mileage...you'd be much better off with fuel injection and an AOD or 5 speed, especially since your truck is already set up for fuel injection.

Even if this is your wheeling rig, the carburetor is a poor choice when it's so easy to do EFI.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
There was a guy around me selling a bronco ii with a 2.3 swapped in, i never got a chance to go and look at it, but from the pics, it looks like he did a good job swapping it.

If you want to do it, go for it. The main problem i see with it is, according to the tech library all the 4 bangers had less power than the 2.8 all the way till 98.

Last edited:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Since I'm considering doing the same thing, I like the idea. We yanked the running 2.3 and 5 speed from our 90 Ranger a couple weeks ago, so we could transplant an Explorer 40 and A4LD in instead. More power. But now I am looking for an early B2 for the 2.3. Is it a bit less power? Sure. But I figure it will be a bit more fun than an automatic, and if I find a dead motor B2, it will easily make more power. EFI is so much better for drivability and cold weather than any carb. Besides, looking to make it a roadster similar to an early Bronco. IF... I can get the state safety folks to sign off on it. Otherwise, I'll chop the back off instead...

I fabbed mounts for the 2.3 that used poly bushings and tube. Trust me, that motor is buzzy as all get out. But, will re-use them. Hoping the B2 crossmember is the same as the Rangers. Then the holes for my existing 2.3 mounts will drop right in.

fangotango306

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, just not really worth the work. I think a carbureted 302 is not much better, is this your daily driver? I assume so? A carburetor and 3 speed auto is a bad combo for gas mileage...you'd be much better off with fuel injection and an AOD or 5 speed, especially since your truck is already set up for fuel injection.

Even if this is your wheeling rig, the carburetor is a poor choice when it's so easy to do EFI.
efi is great for a daily on road driver. mine is not a daily. and even if it was i drive less than 25 miles per week. i have had carbed v8's with 3 speed autos in numerous vehicles including rangers. my whole intention is to get away from fuel injection/computer controlled anything with either swap. im going simple stripped down wheelin rig/streetable but primarily offroad. im not climbing walls or rock crawling and i have had many carbed off road trucks and had less issues with those that i have ever had with my efi rigs. my explorer is case in point. to many connections to get wet and wires to chase. and i had a 98 2wd that got swampped and cost about $400 worth of sensors and bearings. most of the distance runs i do the truck will be trailered so im not concerned with gas mileage, if i was id buy a prius.:icon_rofl:

fangotango306

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Since I'm considering doing the same thing, I like the idea. We yanked the running 2.3 and 5 speed from our 90 Ranger a couple weeks ago, so we could transplant an Explorer 40 and A4LD in instead. More power. But now I am looking for an early B2 for the 2.3. Is it a bit less power? Sure. But I figure it will be a bit more fun than an automatic, and if I find a dead motor B2, it will easily make more power. EFI is so much better for drivability and cold weather than any carb. Besides, looking to make it a roadster similar to an early Bronco. IF... I can get the state safety folks to sign off on it. Otherwise, I'll chop the back off instead...

I fabbed mounts for the 2.3 that used poly bushings and tube. Trust me, that motor is buzzy as all get out. But, will re-use them. Hoping the B2 crossmember is the same as the Rangers. Then the holes for my existing 2.3 mounts will drop right in.
sounds sweet, but the cross members are different. but you can probably put your own holes in to make it work

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
efi is great for a daily on road driver. mine is not a daily. and even if it was i drive less than 25 miles per week. i have had carbed v8's with 3 speed autos in numerous vehicles including rangers. my whole intention is to get away from fuel injection/computer controlled anything with either swap. im going simple stripped down wheelin rig/streetable but primarily offroad. im not climbing walls or rock crawling and i have had many carbed off road trucks and had less issues with those that i have ever had with my efi rigs. my explorer is case in point. to many connections to get wet and wires to chase. and i had a 98 2wd that got swampped and cost about $400 worth of sensors and bearings. most of the distance runs i do the truck will be trailered so im not concerned with gas mileage, if i was id buy a prius.:icon_rofl:
then do a v8. a carb 2.3 doesn't make much power wise...and you'd need to re-gear to like 5.13's to even see it.

fangotango306

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
alright. ill start aquiring parts this weekend.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Keep us updated!

:icon_welder:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0

You are not looking for an early Bronco2 for a 2.3 engine and if you are you are wasting your time, because you are searching for a Zebra-striped Unicorn.

The Bronco2 engine crossmember is the same as the 4x4 Ranger.

AD

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You are not looking for an early Bronco2 for a 2.3 engine and if you are you are wasting your time, because you are searching for a Zebra-striped Unicorn.

The Bronco2 engine crossmember is the same as the 4x4 Ranger.

AD
Nope, looking for an early B2 with dead motor or trans. So I can swap the 2.3 and 5 speed into. Overall plan is not a speed demon, or a monster wheeler. Just a fun cruiser.

Thanks for the info on the crossmember, nice to know my fabbed 2.3 mounts would drop in.

As mentioned, we took the running 2.3 from a 1990 Ranger, and dropped a complete 4.0 setup from a 1994 Explorer in its place. The 2.3 was good for as much as 28 MPG when I stopped using it to commute a few years back, and that was with the 5 speed, 4.10s and 31" tires. But freeway speeds weren't easy to maintain in 5th for long. Chop the top in a B2 and have it for around town or cruising, but not a DD... And of course, there is always the option to turbocharge. Which makes the power issue in general moot.:icon_bounceblue:

fangotango306

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
theres a few in my area but its a looooong way from UT lol.

fangotango306

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
started aquiring parts for my 302 swap, got a c4, with converter and manual t case. complete front acc drive from a 89 mercury grand marquis. b&m z-gate shifter, and i found some misc leftover v8 parts in my garage, stainless mustang shorty's (probably wont use) and a 600 holley with extended vent tubes and lokar kick down setup. probably gonna get a jy motor this weekand and start to do a stock rebuild. gonna start another thread and should have some pictures.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Sounds like a plan! Sorry about the thread jack.