•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 bronco??

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
what might i run in to to do this in a 89 b2 just curios cause im looking @ getting a bronco 2 and was wondering can i use the trans from the 2.9 its a 5 speed?

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Vehicle
fords and only
yes yyou can. evan the why pipe...plug and play swap....check out the tec page on 4.0 swaps...this has been talked to death

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
You CAN, but most everyone will not recommend it... It might last a week behind a 4.0, if you're lucky...

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Bean, if he's got a Mazda in that 89 (not unlikely) it'll hold up just as well behind the 4.0 as the original 4.0 trans would.

CJREX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
And the swap on an '89 is not quite Plug and Play.

There are about 12 wires underhood that will have to moved in the harness and an additional wire ran from the passenger side to the driver side (oil pressure gauge), plus you will need the Explorer fuel lines from the fuel filter forward.

On a '90, I think it is practically Plug and play. I know the fuel lines are.

As far as your trans, check the label on the door.

If your trans code is "M", congratulations! You have the M5OD.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Vehicle
fords and only
well my swap was on a 90 ranger and i replaced the whole harness under the hood....unbolted the harness on the fire wall

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
CJRex, you sure about the 89 being different? I thought 89 and 90 were both plug and play, and that things got more interesting from 88 back.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
The '90 BII is the only year it is a plug and play swap. CJREX is correct, there is a couple wires that are different under the hood on the '89.

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
thanks for the info i read the tech page but its not 89/90 specific and wanted to know what i would be getting in to since i would be using this truck a daily driver

BigClemsonFan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just to pile on, he's right about the 89 not being plug and play. Can't remember the exact number of wires, but 12 sounds about right.

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
How dare you not defend me when I'm wrong. :)

CJREX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you decide to do the 4.0, send me a PM with your email addy and I'll send you the Word doc I used for my swap wiring. (4.0 into '89 Ranger)

I got it from another member on here and it was invaluable.

Since it helped me, I'm glad to pass it on if someone needs it.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Bean, if he's got a Mazda in that 89 (not unlikely) it'll hold up just as well behind the 4.0 as the original 4.0 trans would.
True... But, every single '89 BII I've looked under had an FM146 and not an M50D-R1... I've looked for a 2.9 M50D-R1 forever...

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Wireing isn't the only issue to deal with. 90 is the only year they changed the fitting locations for the fuel. The 90 B2 uses the same setup the the 4.0L's did.

There are some wire differences that need to be changed around. they did move some pins from one plug to another. If your good at de-pinning the plugs and moving the wires then you can do a more professional job.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have done an '89 BII 4.0 swap and a '90 BII 4.0 swap, the 90 was truely plug and play, minus the reverse lights, but that's no biggie. On the '89, Yeah, about 12 wires and the fuel line back to the filter sounds right...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
what might i run in to to do this in a 89 b2 just curios cause im looking @ getting a bronco 2 and was wondering can i use the trans from the 2.9 its a 5 speed?
The survival of the trans greatly depends on WHICH 5sp trans you have in your Bronco2.

as for the "plug and play"

You STILL get to swap out the engine management harness.

On an '89-90 Bronco2? I'd recommend locating a 1990-92
4.0 Ranger engine bay and engine harness.

the EDIS6 is wired into the main wiring harness and a 4.0 won't run without it.

Though there is another "split" between early "round" connectors (where the two harnesses connect next to the alternator)
and the later "square" connectors

If BOTH the engine harness and power distribution harness come from the same donor this isn't an issue.

there are differences in power distribution
and wiring paths to various components in an Explorer Vs a Ranger/Bronco2 that make the job more of a PITA than really necissary.

In my case I started off with a much harder to convert 1987 Ranger and the much more complicated 1993 Explorer wiring harness.

I spent almost a week with that harness draped over a
table removing stuff (ABS, P/W, etc) I didn't need.

but I wanted that 1993 style power distribution box with the relays mounted "on top" because Ihad plans for the two relay sockets that had been for the ABS... I wanted to use those sockets for my auxilary lighting relays.

I also wanted the 1993 engine management because it has what ford calls "active data link"
you can actually see real-time what each of the sensors is seeing.

AD

Last edited:

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
thanks for the info guys so am i better off tryn 2 find a ranger or a 91-93 xploder?

CJREX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
thanks for the info guys so am i better off tryn 2 find a ranger or a 91-93 xploder?
A definite "It Depends".

What are your needs/goals?

If you need a pickup the choice is clear.

If you want an offroad toy, most here would prefer the BII with a 4.0. But it will take work to get it there.

The Explorer Sport already comes with the good stuff (4.0, D35, 31 spline 8.8 rear, and the M5OD if manual) and gives you a better riding, roomier vehicle. Not as agile as a BII though. And IMHO, there are not many cooler looking vehicles than a hooked up BII. :icon_thumby:

Decision is up to you. Can't go wrong with any of them really, unless you get one with a slipping A4LD :icon_twisted: