•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 radiator in my '86 BII....

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
What modifications are required to get a 4.0 into my '86 Bronco II?

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Nothing. You will just need a lower rad hose from an auto 2.9/4.0 assuming you're using the big auto 4.0 rad.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Reaction score
so the 4.0 radiator mounts to the header panel just like the 2.9 radiator? That is easy enough.

I will get a radiator for a 4.0 auto then!

foss40z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter
i also have a 1988 bronco 2 that is an automatic. I am looking to get a 2 row radiator for my truck. i know they are the same size but are the hose mounts for the top and bottom the same? i can pretty much just bolt it in and hook it up?

Thanks

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Well the top inlet on the 4.0 is slightly angled to the passenger side so it slightly bends the hose, nothing you can do about it. The bottom outlet is angled downwards just like the 2.9 auto rad and the hose from either a 2.9 or 4.0 auto must be used.

foss40z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter
cool. i ordered 1 today with 2 rows. should get it tommarow. will let you know how it goes .. w00t Thanks

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Reaction score
So use a 4.0 upper radiator hose and a 2.9 lower?

the mounting is the same correct?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
No. The 4.0L upper hose wants to go right through the 2.9L throttle body. You need a 2.9L upper hose CAREFULLY modified with a utility knife so it doesn't contact the alternator belt.

There are also issues of securing the fan shroud. When I did this on a 2.9L, I ended up using a pair of 1/4 inch E-clips. On a 2.9L, you can reuse the old fan shroud (you can't on a 4.0L), but a junkyard shroud from a 4.0L with 2row works as well.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Reaction score
4.0 shrouds are easy to come by. I will be upgrading to the 4.0 radiator when I swap to the manual transmission.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
OK, I have an 89 Ranger 4x4 w. 2.9L converted from auto to stick. It has no shroud, just a small plastic guard at the top with "not equipped for ac" stamped on it. My truck runs hot in stop and go hot weather. It has a thermostatic fan.

Sounds like a 4.0L Explorer radiator and shroud would fit. Any particular years to look for for the parts?

foss40z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter
OMFG I LOVE FORDS!!!!

Ok got the 2 row 4 Liter radiator today and put it in.. Perfect Fit!!!!

Few things i will note. It does sit abit closer to the fan (which is good) Now the fan can pull more air threw.

1. you will need to cut 3/4 inch off the top hose that connects to the radiator, and adjust the part that goes onto the pump to avoild the altenator belt. PERFECT FIT!! there is a little bit of a bend but will not affect flow.

2. The lower hose does fit on but hits the bumper mount so you will need to either
A. chop off a piece of the mount that hooks to the frame
B. Take it off ( being i dont have a stock front bumper i will probably just take it off)

Fan shroud fits on perfect allow's a tighter area to suck more air threw. you must take the bolts off of the fan and slide it back. it is a little tricky but it fits in perfect. make sure not to damage the fins on the radiator in the process..

I have a 1988 ford bronco 2, and the radiator i got is a 2 row from a 1991 Ranger..

W00000t .. im like :drool: right now...

Mr.Foss

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
OMFG I LOVE FORDS!!!!

Ok got the 2 row 4 Liter radiator today and put it in.. Perfect Fit!!!!
It's one of the few things that interchange with fords, they changed all sorts of little stuff every year you'd never expect when replacing parts.