•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4-speed to a 5-speed

BroncoIIPower

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My credo
Clothing optional
I bought a 1990 2wd Bronco II about 7 years ago. The guy I bought it from had the top half rebuilt then the bought half went out. I got it for about $400. I took it home and parked it. Finally last month I moved it from my sister's house to my dad's. Its become my little project again. I have plans to convert it to 4wd.

I discovered it has the Mazda M50OD-R1 2wd transmission. I found someone selling a transmission and transfercase out of a 1984 BII for $100. I did some research and discovered that the transmission I bought is a Toyo Koygo 4-speed.

I've got a couple of questions. First question, did Mazda make the Toyo transmissions? Second question, could I swap the tail shafts and tail shaft housings to make my 5-speed a 4wd transmission?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I've got a couple of questions. First question, did Mazda make the Toyo transmissions? Second question, could I swap the tail shafts and tail shaft housings to make my 5-speed a 4wd transmission?
As I understand it the TK transmissions were made by a division of Mazda.

The main shaft and extension housing can be swapped out to make your M5OD a 4x4 trans, but not with parts from your TK 5. The best candidate for a parts donor is the Ranger 3.0 version of the M5OD. It is fairly common and worthless for anything else since the 3.0 sucks as a truck engine.

If you find one from an Explorer it would bolt right in.