•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4" suspension lift by pieces

bigmelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I want to do a 4" suspension lift and 33/12.50/15 tires. I'm gonna have to save and buy piece by piece til I have all parts of the puzzle. I wanted to get your guys opinion on what parts and brands that you would recommend. I'm basically wanting a parts list, so I know what to get. I have a 84 b2 with 2.8 v6, 5 speed with dana 28 and 7.5 rear 3.73 gear. I do want to swap the front to a dana 35. Any help would be appreciated.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Early bronco 3.5" to 4" lift coils
Custom extend your stock RA's
Skyjacker or VMS axle pivot brackets
F250 shock towers
Buy shocks by length at local parts house
Custom quick discos for the sway bar
Skyjacker steering

My build thread is LONG but if you can find the spot about my d35 swap you'll see it all. I LOVE how my TTB is setup. But it wasn't really cheap per say

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Start about page 123..

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I want to do a 4" suspension lift and 33/12.50/15 tires. I'm gonna have to save and buy piece by piece til I have all parts of the puzzle. I wanted to get your guys opinion on what parts and brands that you would recommend. I'm basically wanting a parts list, so I know what to get. I have a 84 b2 with 2.8 v6, 5 speed with dana 28 and 7.5 rear 3.73 gear. I do want to swap the front to a dana 35. Any help would be appreciated.
Gonna want new gears for the d35, and get yourself a 8.8" explorer rear end.

Disconnects for the sway bar are good if you drive it daily or anything, but if its a trail rig only you could just get rid of the sway bar all together.

4.0B2, what do you mean by skyjacker steering? for a 4" lift all he should need is a drop pitman arm.

For the back, you have a few options. I would start with belltech 6400 shackles, and new leaf springs. Get some explorer springs out of the junkyard, and repack them with a few of your bronco leafs. That should get you 3-4". If you need more, you can grab 2" blocks from a Ranger 4x4 - the 4x4 rangers have a lift block in the rear out of the factory that bronco IIs dont have.

By mixing and matching these 3 items in the rear, you should be able to get the right ride height.

kaytor692

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford bronco ll
if you go on the jegs preformance parts site you can peace together your lift with tuff country parts. not sure on the quality of the tuff country stuff but im sure someone on here could tell you and they sell stuff seperate if that helps you at all.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If Im not mistaken, Tuff Country uses the bad style of lift bracket, that runs the risk of blowing a hole in your differential. I could be wrong though... I know skyjacker makes the good kind.

If you are taking your time to piece together stuff for a build, keep an eye on local craigslist and around here, you should come across some good brackets and coils if your on a budget. I got both my brackets and coils off of two different classified adds on here. Now if I could only find time to get them on the truck...

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
what I meant was Superrunner Steering, which is Superlift, sorry.

the standard drop pitman arm is not enough for a 4" lift. The drop pitman that comes with 4" lifts only drops the steering 2"... which gives most people bump steer and bad alignments, I was there... so when I did the d35 swap I did superrunner steering and I have zero bumpsteer, zero alignment problems, and it works wonderful.

thanks alwaysfloored for posting that.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Then get the FA600 pitman arm? or is that too big for a 4" lift? lol

I was just thinking about how much cost difference there is between a normal drop pitman, the big drop pitman, and a superrunner kit... its nice, but at $400+ its not on the top of my list personally. Has anyone built their own custom knock-off superrunner kit? doesn't look too complex...?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I've seen builds of 1 ton TRE's and a K-link steering.

For the price of the fa6000 extreme drop, I'd rather put some more with it and get the Superrunner

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size

For the price of the fa6000 extreme drop, I'd rather put some more with it and get the Superrunner
Yes, but depending on application (and available funds) a standard drop pitman arm will do the trick in a pinch. Better than nothing, thats for sure. If this truck is a daily driver, then the superrunner kit is something hes gonna want eventually, but if its just a trails truck he can probably live with a bit of bump steer (I know I can...) And considering a drop pitman arm is $75, while the superrunner kit is $400+, AND requires a drop pitman arm anyways, so its really a $500 kit.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size

Do we have any idea whos build to look through for a k-link steering or anything?

I like the idea of the superrunner kit, but I feel like I could probably fab something cheaper...

kaytor692

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford bronco ll
If Im not mistaken, Tuff Country uses the bad style of lift bracket, that runs the risk of blowing a hole in your differential. I could be wrong though... I know skyjacker makes the good kind.

If you are taking your time to piece together stuff for a build, keep an eye on local craigslist and around here, you should come across some good brackets and coils if your on a budget. I got both my brackets and coils off of two different classified adds on here. Now if I could only find time to get them on the truck...

well there you go jegs also sells the skyjacker stuff seperate too

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
find used parts...
check ALL explorer/ranger forums..

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Do we have any idea whos build to look through for a k-link steering or anything?

I like the idea of the superrunner kit, but I feel like I could probably fab something cheaper...
shoot... I'll see if I can find it. I know someone here has done the "custom" k-link steering here on TRS

The 1 ton K-Link steering I saw was on a prerunner forum I believe.