•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

84 bronco 2 steering wheel/turning signal problem

bigmelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ever since I have owned my b2 the steering wheel is crooked and when I turn on the turning signal I have to hold the turning signal, because if i barely turn the wheel it returns back to its original position like it should. I should be able to turn my wheel a little bit before it pops back. Understand what I'm saying? It drives straight and nothing looks bent in the front end. I dont know why the steering wheel is crooked.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Crooked from one of two common reasons. The wheel can sometimes be put on crooked ( if it is splines. If it is one flat spot, then that cannot happen ) or someone has adjusted the tie rods so much on one side to turn the wheel. Thw\ere are other ways it could happen, but less likely, not impossible :)

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You have an alignment issue known as "clear vision". Basically it means that the geometry of the wheels is correct, but it was set up with the steering wheel off center, so it does things like block your view of the instrument panel and flip the signals off too soon.

The Ranger steering wheels are splined, but there are two large alignment splines that make it so the wheel can only be put on two ways.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
It is a simple adjustment as long as the tie rods are tight. The adjustment is in the link from the steering gearbox arm to the tie rods. eyeball your wheels from front to rear on both sides and make them even thyere should be a slight toe in on both front wheels. Keep the steering wheel unlocked and loosen I believe its called the drag link nut and turn the adjuster to center the steering wheel Tighten the nut and take it for a spin it usually takes a few times to get the wheel center on a straight road.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Has it been lifted the drag link should be pretty much level with the ground, from the pitman arm to the tie rod arm.

bigmelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It's not lifted, only thing not factory on it is the tire size. They are 235/75/15 but I know that shouldn't affect anything. So if I center the steering wheel and adjust the draglink so the wheels are straight that in turn should fix my turn signal?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Yup make sure the nut for the adjuster is good and tight.

1986bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
another way that this could happen is if your b2 has ever been "jumped" i currently have that with mine. i got run off the road by some moron in a mustang and when it happened i caught a little bit of air(jumped a ditch) and landed in someones yard. before that happened my steering wheel wat straight and after it happened its about 90 degrees off center to the left when i turn it right i can go around most road and highway turns with it centered. so that could be another cause for you wheel to be "cocked"