•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

84 Bronco ii lift gate handle/latch

Leadchunker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I am looking for parts to repair my handle on the rear lift gate of my 84 Bronco 2. The handle is ok, the part that actually connects to the rods is broken into pieces. It is a fixed glass lift gate. Can't find parts anywhere, anyone have a handle assembly for sale?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
hmmm, I thought all '84s had the dual latch, for opening window or hatch. You have a fiberglass hatch?

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
hmmm, I thought all '84s had the dual latch, for opening window or hatch. You have a fiberglass hatch?
Yeah, it seems odd my 84' has both releases for the glass and hatch, never heard of a fixed glass hatch before.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
anyone have a handle assembly for sale?
Yes, I have a spare assembly that I could sell. Send me a PM with what you need and I can reply with some pictures.

kimbirdy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Bronco II Liftgate part

I too am missing a part from my liftgate handle.

I cannot find the name of the part, but it attaches to the lock cylinder (which appears to work fine). The part has a handle on it and pulls on the wires on either side to pop open the liftgate or the back window.

I cannot find the part anywhere, and I could use some help. I've tried the Bronco Graveyard, googling for random sites, ebay, etc.

I'd appreciate any help I can get because I really love my little Bronco II.

:wub:

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0

Are you looking for 43400? That part is Ford part number TZ-9843400-C. Which is almost non existent anymore. The problem is that it was a one year only part, to the best of my knowledge. The 84 had a latch you had to stick a key into to operate it while the 85 had a separate key cylinder further below through the fiberglass. You can use one from an 85 or new or from an Explorer up to around 01 but you'll loose the locking aspect of it. I bought one about a year ago but I can't remember where from and they said they only had one remaining (new, old stock). There will be a few others out there if you search for liftgate handle. Another option is to just buy a newer year liftgate with the lock cylinder below the handle, one guy said he used his same liftgate but retrofitted the newer hardware onto it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
My 84 B2 has a fixed rear glass, you have to insert the key and turn the handle to raise the lift gate. Like other's have said bronco graveyard or LMC truck. Sadly parts are getting harder and harder to come by it seems like. I'd really like to figure out how to swap out my rear hatch for one with the flip up window and rear wiper/washer setup but don't have a clue how to swap it out in the first place LOL.

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Here: http://www.lockbargains.com/locks_and_hardware/ford-bronco-ii-1984-complete-handle-with-lock-cylinder-liftgate-asp-b-42-261.html

$32 plus shipping.

3 of the 4 BIIs (all 84-85) I own have fixed glass. One, an 84, has moveable glass but still has the goofy lock cylinder/latch combo. I just searched and I couldn't find the part on either broncograveyard.com or lmctruck.com, which is odd because they both had them listed a year ago when I bought mine (they're prices were too high so I went elsewhere).

kaytor692

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford bronco ll
Here: http://www.lockbargains.com/locks_and_hardware/ford-bronco-ii-1984-complete-handle-with-lock-cylinder-liftgate-asp-b-42-261.html

$32 plus shipping.

3 of the 4 BIIs (all 84-85) I own have fixed glass. One, an 84, has moveable glass but still has the goofy lock cylinder/latch combo. I just searched and I couldn't find the part on either broncograveyard.com or lmctruck.com, which is odd because they both had them listed a year ago when I bought mine (they're prices were too high so I went elsewhere).

are these latchs the the as the one on my 86b2? im also looking for the handle for my hatch and broncograveyard and lmc dont sell them anymore

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
No, the 84 has a unique liftgate latch handle with the key in the latch handle instead of below the latch in a separate lock cylinder. 85-90 models use this different latch handle and I have even used a latch handle from a 96 Explorer on an 85 BII and it fit and worked fine after I enlarged the hole in the liftgate on the BII to fit the larger setup used on the Explorer.

If you don't have luck finding one for a BII, look for one for a 91-97 Explorer and make that hole a bit bigger to fit it (they changed to a different style in 98).

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
One, an 84, has moveable glass but still has the goofy lock cylinder/latch combo

why is this puzzling?? You need the dual acting handle to turn one way to unlock the glass and turn the other way to unlock the liftgate.

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
why is this puzzling?? You need the dual acting handle to turn one way to unlock the glass and turn the other way to unlock the liftgate.
Not puzzling at all to me. I was merely saying that both movable glass and non movable glass liftgates have similar style (but different part numbers) handles in that you have to put the key through the handle.

Bill P

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 2003
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 5.4
I wish they showed a pic of this part. So I knew if I was getting what I needed without wasting $32. has anyone ordered one?

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Yes, i believe that's where i ordered one from last year. Worked perfectly for my '84.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

dug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Is this pic for an 84 or newer model ? It doesn't look like what's in my 84.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
That diagram pic that was posted is not correct for an '84 assembly.