•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

'84 Bronco II reanimation thread

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Vehicle
Ford
Well, today it wouldn't start. I already swapped the TFI module and coil lAt weekend and ad the TFI modue tested (tested good multipe times). Looks like the PIP/Stator/Hall Effect stuff might be the culprit from my testing. A reman distribur shoud bevat the parts stre for me tomorrow (so they caim... I was surprised they coud get it for me on a Sunday Morning).

I have my new fuel tank and It's all ready to go. I oainted it and put the new sending unit/pik up in it. My plan was to put it in today, but troubleshooting the lack of spark wasted my day.

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Vehicle
Ford
Well, seems lie I'm giving up easily, but it think my Bronco II lived slow, died old and left a good looking corpse. After putting a dustributor in it today, still no spark. I unplugged the spout plug and got spark (signs of a bad computer) We got it to fire. But still woudn't run right. Wide open on the throttle, and it woud alf way run, but would not idle. In the process of screwing with it, we fried the starter. So, now, no starting and not turning over.

I'm tiring of fixing one thing only to find another problem. I 'm really thinking about giving up on the ol' girl. I think we were fixing this with our heart in the right place, but not our head. I may soon have a garage sale of parts.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Did you check the computer connector and EEC relay don`t give up just before the miracle. They are both on the passenger side bulkhead just in front of the door?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Hey your engine sounds like mine, rattles and knocks LOL. The stalling and everything could have been just stale fuel in the lines and everything as well as your TFI issue. At least the body on your B2 is in great shape, mine is horrible thanks to salt corrosion from what I could figure out. I can say this, I've had a nightmare list of problems with mine, slowly getting things worked out with it at least I can drive it around town, don't much trust it out of town yet, but I think its getting there slowly. I do plan on picking up some spare parts that I've had issues with and carry them in the vehicle in case of an issue while out of town, but other than my major rear main oil leak its running much better. Problem I'm having now is just electrical wiring that I find that's damaged that I'm trying to slowly repair.

Does anyone know if there's a way to repair the wiring connector to the TFI? I just noticed a couple of the wires are starting to pull apart close to the actual plug. Is there a way to fix this with a replacement plug of some sort? Could I get a plug from a scrap yard and cut the wires long and then solder or butt connect them together to repair, as well as do the remote TFI relocation while I'm at it.

Last edited:

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Vehicle
Ford
Does anyone know if there's a way to repair the wiring connector to the TFI? I just noticed a couple of the wires are starting to pull apart close to the actual plug. Is there a way to fix this with a replacement plug of some sort? Could I get a plug from a scrap yard and cut the wires long and then solder or butt connect them together to repair, as well as do the remote TFI relocation while I'm at it.
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # HP4530 s the plug with short leads to wire into the harness

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Vehicle
Ford
Did you check the computer connector and EEC relay don`t give up just before the miracle. They are both on the passenger side bulkhead just in front of the door?
Is the relay under that cover with the rest of the relays and stuff? Any way. Test it? O'Reilly's has them for $18.

If I knew it was going run, i'd go ahead and duraspark it, but i don't want to shovel money only to find it's shot.

Honestly, its a good candidate for a 302. Already body lifted, C5 transmission and no AC to get in the way.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Hmm, I've tried searching all over for that part number and get nothing. Even the Standard Motor Products site. Sounds like it would be just the same to just goto the scrap yard and clip the connector out and leave some excess wires to splice in.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Oops, haha, typed the wrong web address, found it for $9. Going to see what the scrap yard charges me and I may order one if they charge a fortune. Have to go over there for some stuff anyhow one of these days. That wire harness and plug fits a lot of different ford vehicles, at least I can expand my search at the parts yard if I have to for that LOL.

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Vehicle
Ford

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Thanks Bryce, will be ordering some stuff tomorrow as I need a rear main seal, oil pan gaskets, and well crap can't remember the rest of my list right now but I'll order the parts after work and they'll sit on the shelf for a year like the rest of my dang projects...I need to buy extra time rather than projects I guess LOL.

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Cleaning up nicely! Doesn't look like an abandoned vehicle anymore!

I think I'm going to go get a mighty-vac to get a really good job of bleeding the brakes. They are getting better after another round of pump pump hold but I think the mighty vac will just finish it off. Then we can focus on the fun stuff!
Man, that thing is in awesome shape!! I love it!!

:icon_cheers:
B2

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
i really do like the white on green paint scheme.

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
It's such a good looking truck. Don't give up! It's been sitting a while - These things happen when they sit.

My vote would be to swap in the 302. Then you know your investment of time and money is worth it. The 2.8 sounds like it needs just about everything to run again.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Well I drove an 80 mile round trip after work today at 65mph and other than losing 2 quarts of oil due to the failed rear main seal, it ran and drove awesome.

A vehicle that's been sitting for several years is going to need a lot of TLC to get it up and running again. I'd get it all cleaned up and change out all the seals, and gaskets because if you don't you'll regret it, as soon as you heat that engine up those dried out gaskets and seals are going to start to fail and give you problems. I know, that's what has happened to my 84 B2. I'm slowly getting mine mechanically operating the right way as much as I can, its going to take a lot of time but I really like my Bronco II.

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Vehicle
Ford
So, I'm not going to junk it. I think I'm going to just take my time with it. The inital excitement of haing it run anf the disappointent of it konking out were emotional, but after sitting fora week, I cooled off. This afternoon, we strapped it to the F-250 and put it ack in the back yard. I need it out of the way while I tinker with it.

I think my next stps beore I invest alot if money is going to be checking the compression. I need to figure out if the motor is worth screwing with. If it is, I think I'll Duraspark it, if not, then I'll start hunting for a 302 to drop in it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Glad to hear you are saving it. Trust me I was in your same shoes about a month ago with my 84 B2 with its issues, but I've driven it every day for 2 weeks and so far its doing great other than the oil leak from the rear main seal. The more I drive mine the more I like it. Some day I'll get the rust problems fixed, but its going to be a long and slow process to get it looking good again, sadly the previous owner of mine didn't do anything to it to keep it from rusting any farther, and didn't keep up with any maintenance at all.

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Vehicle
Ford
Glad to hear you are saving it. Trust me I was in your same shoes about a month ago with my 84 B2 with its issues, but I've driven it every day for 2 weeks and so far its doing great other than the oil leak from the rear main seal. The more I drive mine the more I like it. Some day I'll get the rust problems fixed, but its going to be a long and slow process to get it looking good again, sadly the previous owner of mine didn't do anything to it to keep it from rusting any farther, and didn't keep up with any maintenance at all.
My daughter and I have decided to start looking for something else for her. Something newer and probably more reliabe and tat handles better.

I'm having a bit if separation anxiety also :D

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
LOL, I'd seriously keep it though. Can't remember all your issues you are having with it, but after new head gaskets, new valve cover gaskets, new oil pan gasket, new starter, new clutch master/slave cylinder, and soon to be rear main seal and 4 starter solenoids my 84 Bronco 2 is starting to be a more reliable vehicle now. It just looks horrible due to the rust issues and the paint is horribly faded and damaged.

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
I've been reading this thread with interest....keep at it! None of us want to see your Bronco die. It's a sweet looking ride.