•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

84 Bronco ll exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Lee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Awhile back I was looking online for a new exhaust system. I found some from the exhaust manifold back that eliminated the catalytic converter. Not street legal but we have no inspections. Now I cant find it. Does anyone know where to find something like this for the Bronco ll 4X4 with a 2.8?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
All we can tell you is it is a federal law to have the cat and illegal to remove one for any vehicle that came with one stock. You can legally gut it all it has to do is be there it aint got to work. Emission test or not it is illegal not to have one.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
its illegal to go over the speed limit too... have you ever done that?

back to the topic. I have had plenty of vehicles with no cats, removed cats. as long as you make your vehicle run fine its all about not getting caught.

build up your own exhaust, route it where you want. buy headers and deign your own.

My exhaust fell off my truck so i cut my muffler out of the mangled rusted piping and made my own. I cost me about $20

RedneckSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I'd do like Gary said, build your own. Buy yourself a good set of headers, a couple mufflers, a case of beer, and fire up the welder. At least with doing it like that you could have everything the way you want it.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I ran a single exhaust 2 1/2 on my '84. I took my stock tail pipe into an exhaust shop and they bent one out of 2 1/2, mandrel bends even. I then made the rest myself.

Leadchunker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If your existing manifolds are in decent shape, just leave the O2 sensor in place (disconnected of course) that plugs one hole, the only other opening you should have is the one for the air pump. You can just plug weld it. Run your pipes from there, you need to cross the pipes to give back pressure. There are mufflers that cross to accomplish this. The rest is up to your imagination and wallet.

lmtpop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
sounds neat can you post some pics?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Hate so say this, but what the feds don't know ain't gonna hurt them at all. I bought my Bronco 2 without a CAT, so I don't know if it had one to begin with. After an engine damage mess on a previous vehicle when a CAT failed I avoid them to begin with. The Cat does nothing except cause back pressure on the engine constantly creating less power and eventually engine damage.

I would build my own exhaust system and route it however you wish.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I did this exhaust when the stock 2.8 was in the truck. Now I have a 302 in it and a made a y-pipe to connect to the same muffler and tailpipe I had used. It was already 2 1/2" so it's fine with my thirfty MPG sipper 302 I built.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
DISCLAIMER: I have had enough of people for the week and I still have one day to go. I am out of patience for people who don't know what they are talking about and am going to be quite blunt. I do have facts and data to support my points and will provide them if requested. I do have certifications that would qualify me to testify in court as an expert witness. If you do not, do not argue with what I am saying. If you are going to say I am wrong, I want to see your certifications.

If you are going to get all butthurt about what is in this post, don't read it.

Hate so say this, but what the feds don't know ain't gonna hurt them at all. I bought my Bronco 2 without a CAT, so I don't know if it had one to begin with. After an engine damage mess on a previous vehicle when a CAT failed I avoid them to begin with. The Cat does nothing except cause back pressure on the engine constantly creating less power and eventually engine damage.
What a wonderfully ignorant post.

The catalytic converter does several things, causing a power robbing restriction on any vehicle built after 1980 is not one of those things.

The natural products of the internal combustion engine are hydrocarbon (an ozone depleting emission), leftovers from unburnt fuel, carbon monoxide (highly toxic), and Oxides of Nitrogen or NoX (also highly toxic) which are created at temps above 2900 (easily achieved in a normal combustion chamber).

The cats take these damaging by-products and oxygen absorbed from the atmosphere and rearranges them into water (obviously not toxic) and carbon dioxide, which can kill you but is not produced at toxic levels and it processed out of the atmosphere by plant-life, something that does not happen with the un-refined exhaust.

To sum up, in this case, yes what the Feds don't know can actually hurt them, no I don't want to hear the argument "but it's just one guy doing it" because eventually that mentality leads to that "one guy" being everyone, and lastly, if you truly believe that the emissions control devices are there to do nothing other than hurt performance you are a moron.

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
nicely put gary lol
Here's a better way to put it.... This discussion is against forum rules. It wont be long till this thread got locked or deleted.

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
if you wanna run without a cat, that's on you. as has been discussed in this thread already, its against federal law and against forum rules as well. not only that but there is no benefit at all over a properly functioning cat. do whatever you want, but dont discuss it here.

oh, and this thread is old. let it die.

mn_smokeater

Supporting Member
Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Status
Not open for further replies.