•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

85 B2 newbie - can you help me triage this info?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Yes that’s it. I wouldn’t adjust it yet. The computer should. Just so I’m on track, we are trying to fix a high idle correct? It looks to be in the out position which is why it has a high idle. Sometimes these motors quit working. If you unplug it and apply power and ground to the red and black wires with jumpers the motor will run. + to red - to black it moves out. + to black - to red and it will retract. The other two wires are just a contact closure. Make it retract so we can see the motor works then plug it back in and start your engine. See if the computer extends it back out.

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
We're working on a few things that may or may not be intersecting:

1. the CODE 18 SPOUT issue
2. the high idle

ok, mixed results. I was working with my son to test that motor. Turns out the jumpers we connected got pulled and touched each other as we switched the wires. So either I burned out my leads or the motor or just who knows. When we tested first, the rod was already "in", so it didn't move. The second time we tested the sparks flew. Third time no response from that motor either way we connected. However, turning on the car and revving the engine did cause the throttle to be pushed in, so it seems that motor is working ok and maybe I fried the jumpers? I don't see another (non-mechanical) way that that throttle could move in and out without the motor. Funny enough, after shocking that thing the idle dropped really low and the engine sounded as good as it ever has. Thoughts?? We're a little 🤦 over here!

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Motor froze up from sitting?
So the idle issue appears resolved?
Were you ever able to reset and check codes?

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
ok, status update. I tested the wires that I thought I fried (the leads). those are working just fine. I tried the jumper test again and the motor didn't respond, however starting the car and revving the engine caused the motor to push out that rod, which affected the throttle so maybe we're good?

I detached and reattached the battery to clear codes. I can no longer read from the computer with this unit. I followed all the instructions properly, and I can hear the engine "click" when I press "TEST", but I never receive any of the icons indicating it is testing, nor do I receive codes. I tried jumping the neutral wire to the "-" on the battery with the same results. I don't have a check engine light (or the bulb is out- do these cars have one???) so I can't see if the computer is storing codes or not.

I'm a little at a loss and frustrated

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Yes there is a check engine light (cel). It should come on when you turn the key to start the truck. It only stays on a few seconds and it’s for insuring the bulb works.
The computer will use the idle motor when needed like at start up and when it’s cold or the A/C is running. It’s not unusual for idle to be high when things needing power are in use. We know it works now so if there are still issues it’s not with the idle motor. We can discard it being an issue.
So I guess now do we have drivability issues? Is the idle good? Do you see your cel come on when you turn the truck on to start it?
If you don’t see the cel your bulb may be burnt out.
If you need codes read, most any auto parts store will download your codes for free.

cel is simply short for check engine light.

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
ok, chatted with my local o'rielly store and they can't read codes on this old of a car. i'll keep calling around. the cel def doesn't come on so I'll have to order a new bulb and look up how to replace that. Right now I'm cleaning the engine and tightening the valve covers since I'm frustrated about that computer and the code reader!

I did find a few things that look jacked when I was cleaning the engine. Maybe related??

this part has a cut hose
IMG_2812.jpg

the cut hose
IMG_2813.jpg

and on the driver's side of the engine, there's a HUGE (like 2" hose) that's been cut. Looks like maybe it is supposed to feed into the air cleaner??

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

always something!!

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Nothing you pictured is gonna be anything difficult.
Broken vacuum line, get a small section of rubber vacuum hose that fits over the broken line and connects to the port. Those hard plastic vacuum lines do crack and break over time.
The large missing hose from the exhaust heat riser to the air cleaner is no big deal. It’s used in cold conditions to supply warm air. I’ve never tried to replace it. Most people don’t.
The cel light bulb will be available anywhere you get auto parts. Very common bulb. Replacement requires the speedometer cluster to be removed. Not difficult but takes some time and patience.
So how is it running?

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
ok, I had a friend come over and help me adjust the carb. I think we have it running better now. No luck on the computer and reader, so I'll tackle that another day! I'm gonna get the cel and see where we're at

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
My 85 I fine tuned the idle with the idle stop set screw. I believe it was on the right side of the carb. The B2 has been at a body shop for 6 months now so it's been awhile since I've been under the hood.

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
oh gosh! 6 months 😱

yeah, I ended up fine tuning it yesterday as well and feel good about driving it. My computer still doesn't wanna talk to the code reader so I guess we're good!!