•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

'85 BII Mystery Part

SpecOpsRule!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just bought a '85 Ford Bronco II BII XLT with a 2.8l v6 all automatic, 4wd. There is this part on the carburetor that i need to replace. My bronco is running lean and i was told this has something to do with it. I've asked Ford, Auto zone, O'Reilly's and a few mechanics. Looked in Chiltons and Haynes Manuals. No one has a clue to what is it. It has no part or serial #. When i took it off the part it had some gas in it. I could tell you what it is not. Throttle Position, Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Idle Speed Control Actuator. Can any one help me out?

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
If you don't have much for emission inspections in your area I recomend going to the Duraspark ignition and either swapping carbs or making a metering block to replace this very part on your current carb in addition to installing the different ignition system.

Here it is, my gut feeling is that they will be very proud of it... if they can get it.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MOT0/CM4041.oap?year=1985&make=Ford&model=Ranger&vi=1137451&pt=06886&ppt=C0018

You might try the metering block to test it and see if it is actually the problem before you get the thing and find out it isn't the problem.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981

Last edited:

SpecOpsRule!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
There is emissions in my area. The thing is im military and i have my vehicle registered in Texas. Since it's a 85 then all i need is safety inspection not emissions. But i might have to get smog because i have to have the vehicle in texas to get it safety tested. What is a metering block and what does it do?

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
There is emissions in my area. The thing is im military and i have my vehicle registered in Texas. Since it's a 85 then all i need is safety inspection not emissions. But i might have to get smog because i have to have the vehicle in texas to get it safety tested. What is a metering block and what does it do?
The second link in my first post goes into how to make them and in that link is another link to pictures. Basically it makes it so you can manually do what that do-hicky does with the computer. Without changing the ignition though I don't know how it will test.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I believe it is the feedback solenoid what it does is bleeds air into the high speed jets. It is how the computer controls how rich it is burning. I tried finding the part with no luck. If it has fuel in it you might just rebuild the carb first off and see if that works. A rebuilt carb will run $300 or more and they are not that hard to rebuild.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
A bad O2 sensor could also make it run lean but you have the carb off your gonna need a new gasket to put it back on anyway.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That's the hoopty-bob. It controls the thingamajig.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size