•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

85 flywheel on an 84

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Like the title says. Can i use an flywheel from an 85 B2 on an 84 B2 engine and tranny? It seems to be alot easier to find a new flywheel for an 85 then it does for an 84.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Far as I know they are the same from 84 up to the demise of the 2.9 in 92.

4.0 flywheel will bolt on too, but there are other things you have to change use that.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I am pretty sure it is the same I got one for my 2.8 thinking it had a damper in it but it is solid metal. I dont think I will need it if you need one it has the double V belt. I am not sure but I think with A/C it has three V belt but it is the same. If your still looking make me an offer it it around here somewhere. What is the reason you need it. PM me

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Oops sorry reread it I was thinking damper pully my bad it`s late in the morning. I dont imagine there being any difference other than clutch size for a manual. Be sure and replace the rear main seal on the engine while you have it apart if that motor has alot of miles. Sure as s&%t it will start leaking right after you put it back together.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Yeah they have different part numbers at autozone, i haven't looked at other places yet but i will. If i can avoid buying a new one i will. Do you guys have any suggestions on taking the old one off. I had my brother hold the crank but i could not get the bolts to turn, or the socket and wrench would slip off the crank.

Would an impact help?

Last edited:

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Well i got the old one off my parts truck. The 1/2" impact made quick work of the bolts. Thanks for the help.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Well since i already got a thread going. Is there any differnece between a starter on a manual truck vs one on a auto. I put a new starter on my truck 1 year ago and it would suck if i had to buy a new one.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Naw it should be the same unless they have different part numbers at the part store.