•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

85 fullsize axles into a b2.... what am i going to need to do?

happster

Reaction score
i am thinking about building a bronco II with stuff out of my '85 bronco. i am just wondering how hard it's going to be to get that d44 ttb to work under the truck. what are some good threads and other resources for this swap? does anyone have a good idea what i'm going to need? it's a d44 ttb front of course, with a ford 9 out back. i would really appreciate any help or advice. it's going to start out as a rig to take to meets behind my '79 fsb, so i am really looking to have a cheap toy, using the stuff i already have.:icon_thumby:

happster

Reaction score
thanks for the links. narrowing the beams will negate the whole idea of having fullsize-width axles though, right? in those photos it looks like they fit the way the stock ones did... i was looking for making it have a wider suspension setup.... would i still get the increased width using the method of cutting down the arms there? what about lift, does this swap raise up the truck higher or does it keep it almost like it is now?

happster

Reaction score
instead of lengthening the beams, could i widen the pivots by making a kind of boxed bracket? i don't like the idea of welding on those arms. that'd work too right?

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Sure, you can do that... Due to the fact the beams go across centerline, the pivots actually have to go toward each other (making them narrower, not wider) to put the axle at the same width.

However the beams are just plain stamped steel. You can weld on them all day long without any special procedures required (no need to preheat or anything).
IMO, lengthening them is a better idea than messing around with the brackets (the longer beams will give you a very slight decrease in camber change with suspension movement as well).

happster

Reaction score
the idea of messing with those beams, especially welding them across where the stress area is..... doesn't sit right with me. that's interesting though about the pivots.... your'e right i'd have to move them in, i never thought of it that way. i'm not worried about weird tire wear on the street in this thing- it's basically going to progress into a buggy with a windshield in the future i think.

hmmm.... move the pivot points inward.... i'll have to take a closer look at my '85 to see exactly how to do this. am i going to have to run coilovers with the mounts at an angle, or is there still a way for me to keep this thing in check with normal coils? i'm brainstorming. thanks a lot for your help. :icon_thumby: