•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

86 b2 build thread 90 ranger 4.0 swap Pics!!

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Starting my build thread to give you guys some motivation to do your own 4.0 swap
!! Here's some pics
started ripping her apart
the first gen front end is going bye bye.
the old 2.9 is coming out
its out!!

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
its empty got all the old 2.9 wiring gutted
the pilot bearing got stuck in the 2.9l main crank so I need to get a new piglet bearing before I put her back together

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
theres the old 2.9
heres the new 90 4.0
heres the 86 dash ripped out
and that's as far as I got today, hopefully more after work Tom weather permitting

Who has those evtm for 86 ranger/b2 and 90 ranger/b2??? I need em ASAP or links to them thanks!!!

stickboy697

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Looks like progress to me! My sons and I have begun the daunting task of a 4.0, m5od, and dash into our 85 BII. Great site with a vast amount of knowledge and advise from what I have seen while lurking! Good luck and keep the updates coming! Zack

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
So I had a guy call me today and asked me if I would buy his 89 Bronco II XLT auto trans
So I think I'm going to drop the 4.0 in this truck as the body is a lot nicer, and the wiring will be a lot easier, my 5 speed man trans will stay with it too, I might put the 2.9 and auto trans back in the 86 with the 90 dash, 86 steering column and the 89 2.9 wiring harness.

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Oh yeah I forgot to mention I did buy it for 500$ just a couple bugs that need to be worked out

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Ok so I got a bunch of work done on the 86 here's the status thus far, let me know what you think
heres the new 89 XLT auto 4x4 that I got for 500$
It chugs when you try to push her past 50 mph
I haven't gotten a chance to drive her over 30 because I'm still waiting on tags, any ideas??

I though possibly 4th gear is gone??
Tried beating on cats
It already has fresh tune up plugs cap rotor
Brand new fuel pump 2 weeks ago
Idk where to look next..

Here's more pics of the truck
passenger side has some rust issues that need felt with, I'm thinking fiberglass and bondo,
sweet chrome window rain shields
idk about the hat/ sun visor, but I do like the running lights, looks like a f250 coming at you lol
interior is clean, but the original center console is missing
and no rear wiper :( my old 89 XLT had one, works great for getting mud off for better visibility, is this a order option?? Also had rear defrost which is nice in MI winters

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
doing some wiring for my multi switches for using the first gen column with the 2nd gen dash
this is after I got the dash installed I have a few wires in my 2nd gen multi switch harness that need homes, I'm thinking these are cruise wires??? Unless some don't match up????
2nd gen dash installed in 1st gen!!
Only lines up with 3 outta the original 10+ mounting points, ill work on better securing it later...
it was a pain to get the dash to fit properly some trimming of the 2nd gen dash vent air ducting was required, I will patch up with duct tape, for once its proper purpose, lol once everything is final
4.0 secured in her home, and bolted securely to the 5sp!!!

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
it looks like a mess but this is the fun part!!
this is where the majority of my remaining splices are, they are all pretty much color coded, from 86-90 the same, some changes still working on those, I wire at a time!!
oh I started mounting my 2nd gen fenders and lights and grill, some modifications were required, here is the divers side 1st gen head light bucket it sticks out too far in a few places I reworked the metal with a 1/4 sledge as opposed to cutting it, I didn't want to compromise the already rusty core support any further
heres the passenger side reworked, so the lights fit flush
and again,,,, I still need to do a lol more trimming/ beating to make them perfect
now to find another 5 speed man trans and another 90 ranger4.0 and harness :D
That's it for now, I plan to have her running by fri, hopefully Tom would be nice :D
What ya think??

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Anyone know what this plug is?? Is it crucial for the engine to run?? Here it is plugged into??? A sensor maybe ac/heat?? It's on my 89 b2 but the 86 does not have a home for this plug with the 90 4.0 harness
also need help wireing up the man trans to get reverse lights n I know there are another two wires that come from some sort of switch
I also need to disable the neutral safety switch on the auto trans
I need evtms!!!!
The only wire that matches is bulk/prpl I'm guessing that's one for reverse lights and the Blk/wht is a ground for lights, the others have me stumped.....
Here's the plugs for the trans on the 89-90 harness my 89 swap was easy because it plugged right in..

After those wiring issues I should be able to start her up, after I button her down a bit more,

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
So I got the beast all buttoned up tonight, I hit the ignition and she fired up first try!! Yay me, I musta done something right,
Well tom morning I'm loading her up on the dolly and driving her to my buddy's shop to have a new exhaust welded up!
I'm thinking about removing the cat and putting a single flowmaster on it
, once she is closer to being completely finished I will post more pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Great thread so far. I must say though...I wish it was keeping the 1st gen dash and front end.

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Thanks, yeah the truck sat for 10 yrs in a barn so mice had been living in the dash and munching on wires, it was easier to pitch it and start over. It also made the 4.0 swap a lot easier!!

So I've put about 300 miles on the swap so far
It's had a few hiccups but not too shabby
I had a leak in the radiator
So I just installed a new one from the zone with a limited lifetime warranty
So far so good
Then after I put the new radiator in I was driving around and started hearing a grinding noise coming from the serpentine belt, I though oh great idler pully is shot
Popped the hood and it was the alternator belt the pully was all lose causing it to get eaten up by the shaft, called auto parts stores no new pulley
So I went to the alternator and battery place up the road and the guy gave me a new pully for free!! :D
Free is good!!

I've also got my gas mileage calculated
I spent the first 150-200 miles beating around town And I averaged a whopping 13MPG city driving with the auto computer and manual trans

The last 100 miles I drove straight highway 2 way trip I averaged 16.6MPG highway cruising at 70-80MPH on the way there,pulling a empty tow dolly
Haven't calculated the mpgs on the trip back yet with the extra 400 lbs of axle weight

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I took that trip to pick up set of matching 78 full size ford axles

Got my d44 high pinion front with 3.55s
And a matching ford 9" rear

Stay tuned for pics!!

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
http://youtu.be/yoBj1GDeono&fs=1" width="644" height="390">http://youtu.be/yoBj1GDeono&fs=1" />http://youtu.be/yoBj1GDeono">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://youtu.be/yoBj1GDeonoheres the nex exhaust!!!

I have a manifold leak at the head on the number 5 cylinder so it could sound better

I cut the stock cat and resonator off at the y pipe right after the o2 sensor and had my cousins shop fab up a fully welded 2.5" exhaust
With a xelerator vx muffler, its basically a knock off flow master, fully welded design, for only 27$ through my wholesale parts account I couldn't beat it, the welding n hanging and bending my cousins did for 125$ so less then 160$ into the new exhaust, just have to get that manifold fixed so I can lose that annoying pfft pfft pfft pfft sound under the hood.

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Given the fact that you had problems with mice, I cannot blame you for swapping then!

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
So not much has gotten done recently, I'm still chasing down wiring gremlins, haven't figured out my no tail light issue, but I now have a temporary wire ran from the rear to the front light switch that I have to tie in for lights to come on so I can drive at night,,
When I have some time I will post some more pics, most likely going to be body work next