•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

86 BII air box / blower fan removal

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I have searched the forms and cannot find a good answer to this question, but on my 86 bronco II I have a little lack of airflow with the blower in any speed position, and I’m suspecting, according to other post, that I have debris lodged somewhere in that blower fan. Any other advice to why this might be happening would be good, but I think I need to pull that blower out and do a thorough cleaning, I can get as far as pulling the top of the airbox off and the three bolts out, is there an easy way to pull the bottom of the airbox off so I can pull the blower all the way out?

Last edited:

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
I might be wrong but I seem to remember that when my blower fan went out on my 1990 BII that I pulled the fan out from the engine bay and never removed anything from the inside. It was like 3 studs that the fan housing bolted up on the outside with a gasket.

Dennis

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
I think I just removed the clamp and there 2 screws from the bottom of the air box to the wheel well. I do remember it was a pretty straight forward process and did not take much time at all.

Dennis

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Two other possible sticking points, heat riser (metal flexible tube) coming from exhaust manifold and the fresh air intake tube that comes from the grill to the airbox. Going from memory the fresh air tube is down low next to the headlight, the heat riser is usually long gone by now but it may still be there. If you live where it gets cold, I recommend you replace the heat riser.

Bub

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Just replaced my blower motor/evaporator housing. 86 B2. Had to pull the inner fender well too get to the bottom, inside nut.

Bub

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Had a ton of debris that caused the fan to lock up and catch 🔥