•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

87 b2 silnoid wires

hmdboi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I dont know where the wires go. Theres like 4 fuse links nd then like 2 more

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The one coming from the battery goes on the big post close to the battery.

Everything else goes on the other one.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
The fuse linked wires are hot all of the time from the battery (so they go onto the same solenoid post as the battery). You do not want power to those only when the engine is cranking over. Other side goes to starter. R/LB goes to small S terminal - hot when ignition switch is on start.

Last edited:

hmdboi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I did it the way adsm08 said nd nothing but when i crossed the silinoid it started cranking over and all the lights where on. It wont do nothin with the key. How do i fix it?

pauld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
do you have an amp meter in the instrument cluster or just a red charging indicator ?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
I did it the way adsm08 said nd nothing but when i crossed the silinoid it started cranking over and all the lights where on. It wont do nothin with the key. How do i fix it?
Shouldn't listen to anyone, only the wiring you're looking at. Wiring blindly is never a good idea. But read my post and think about it; you have the fuse linked wires on the starter side of the relay. Now your lights only come on when you trip the solenoid....... Think about how it works, and I bet the issue will hit you like a ton of bricks.

hmdboi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
ok i got everything to turn on with the key but it still wont start with the key. When i crossed the silnoid it starts cranking over like it wants to start. Its getting spark nd gas, new silnoid. I took a picture of the fuse link wires im gonna put the picture in my album. HELP ME

pauld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
did you try pushing the shiter hard into park.....or try starting in neutral .....neutral safety switch .or clutch switch

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
We're talking about the S O L E N O I D right?? Looking at it, the right side large terminal is where the cable to the starter goes. All other eyelet type wires go to the left side, near the battery. The push on terminal goes to the small stud on the front. You should have only one terminal, but if you have two on the front, leave the right side blank.

hmdboi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
IF it's the neutral safety switch will the truck still have lights or will it do nothing and dose it have 1 or 2? I tried starting it neutral and shifting into park hard. Nothing!

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
NSS has nothing to do with any lights. It only controls the electricity going to the small left terminal on the front. Does your solenoid have one or two small terminals? If two, are you using the one on the left? You should be able to measure voltage at that wire when the key is turned. If no power, it isn't getting through, either the ignition switch, NSS or other wiring break. Thats it.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, I got it backwards. Its everything BUT the starter on the battery side.

hmdboi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Okay I got it running but it still won't start with the key. What's the problem ?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Building cars isn't witchcraft. You haven't answered any of the logical questions I presented to you. Without the answers, no conclusion can be drawn. Do you just want us to look into a crystal ball?

pauld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
how did you get it running ?..did you jump the stater solenoid with the key on?
did you check the little wire on the solenoid for battery voltage with the key in start position?
if there is no voltage at small wire with key in start postion then you need to check th neutral safety switch or ignition switch for voltage when key in start postion ....MAKE SURE TRUCK IS IN PARK AND WHEELS ARE BLOCKED