•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88 BII Tranny seems loud

Shadow Convoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/1996/1988/
I just got an 1988 Bronco II XLT Automatic tranny. I was told it sat for a long time before i bought it but it runs great and the A/C even works! I mostly drive a manual jeep wrangler as my daily driver and an automatic v6 Ranger at my job. I haven't driven an old automatic in years.It seems to be shifting fine but it seems to make a kind of constant loud droning sound. I know its a 20 year old truck but is this normal? :dunno:

vwa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This is not helpful in the least, but I'm surprised "The Official A4lD Problem Thread" is only 35 pages long.

Seriously though, what kind of droning noise? Does the noise change with gear changes or engine speed? Is the noise there on accel more than decel? Is it still there if you shift to neutral? And most importantly, have you already started hoarding parts to do a manual transmission swap? (I have)

Shadow Convoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/1996/1988/
That link that Jim posted is pretty accurate to what I am experiencing except It only does it while accelerating or driving. It's fine at idle. It also shifts fine. It just sounds like a greyhound bus. It also seems to drive a little smoother after i realized both front hubs were in the locked position but maybe that was just in my head. I normally drive a manual Jeep wrangler so the whole locking hubs thing is new to me. lol

At vwa1 I want to try to keep the tranny automatic that way my wife can drive it in a pinch (she drives a 4wd Expedition). Also, even though i have driven manual tranny vehicles since I was 16, after driving that manual jeep for so long it feels good to drive a vehicle once in a while that I don't have to shift!lol