•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88 Bronco II wiring maze,, pics included

Bronco Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Being a newbie here maybe someone can help me. Attached are pictures of wiring harness repair on Bronco II. This is one of the problems found on this purchased BII,, This is wire that was run straight from positive post of battery to unified connection you see here. I do not have another to compare to and local dealer does not keep diagrams from these years. Disconnecting seems to have no affect on accessory's.

Attachments

173dave

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V-6
You can get books on the wiring or maybe here in the library there might be something.

sweetsride

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
looks like a repair done to the main fuse-able links for the main harness

Kris

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Bronco Bob...

I dont have Bronco wiring to look at anymore either. However, The wire thats spliced in is going to the multiple fusible links in your harness. Just a place to start when you find a schematic.

Bronco Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Thanks 173dave,, I have been chekcing everything like that,, no luck,, thought maybe someone had a similar BII. It must be a feed wire to this group but I cannot find where it originates. There was no remains left in wire sheathing to help,, just this big old jumper type that was installed.

Bronco Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
So from the suggestions about being a feed to fusible links it would probably be a feed from a switched source. Just guessing,, not drivable to test at present

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have an 88. It will be into Saturday before I can look though. She is down in the shop and I have no lights out there to check after work.

Bronco Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
adsm08,, I can wait on this end,, no hurry at this point. Where the feed for the links originate is my biggest concern.Thanks

173dave

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V-6
Thanks 173dave,, I have been chekcing everything like that,, no luck,, thought maybe someone had a similar BII. It must be a feed wire to this group but I cannot find where it originates. There was no remains left in wire sheathing to help,, just this big old jumper type that was installed.
I have one but it has so many added wires that it's a mess. The last guy that had it installed a big stereo and then an alarm system with remote locks. I un-installed the horn/siren thing because it is a real pain in the butt. These computer Broncos just have too many wires that they don't need.

And mine is in the shop getting front suspension fixed.

88fordbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 litter v-6
umm ok soon as something is found out about this please let me know...everytime i try and start it my soldnoid burns out and sticks to keep that wire (fusable linkage) ( color green in inside the wire is black and orange) from getting too hot and melting i had to get a wire for a ground cause i didnt have a ground for the motor. and it ran fine. if that wire aint hooked right i have no power getting inside to crank. with i was driving that night my anti break light came on and off til it got dim and no power was left got out after getting hood up and then smoke and red hot from wires and then broke into at the soldnoid i do not know what this wire is for a have about 5 or 6 different wire goin to my soldnoid if this info helps anyone to help me. i have a repair manuel but its not helping and havent learned how to read up on a wiring system with all the wiring in the truck please let me know somthing if anyone has the answers thanks tamara

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Wiring

On my Bronco II, that is part of the main wiring harness, and goes to the headlight system. If you have PDL & PW's, then that will also be in that harness. I have taken a few pics of the schematic with that harness showing, not real great, but you can follow the diagram to the ignition switch and headlight switch. Follow the link to the photos http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r530/ldbill39/