•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

89 b2 build

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Finally figured out the posting thing. Apparently my ipad doesn't like the web site. Here was the start. 89 with auto. Really good condition and runs great.

Attachments

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
grill was the first cosmetic change on a sunday afternoon

just like black better

Attachments

Last edited:

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
rear bumber was the next on the list. I got a receiver hitch from the u-pull it and welded it into the chassis. It was a little more tricky than I imagined due to very little chassis in the rear. little reinforcing and it worked out fine. then capped it off with aluminum diamond plate. Weight is on of the things I hope to cut while doing my project.

Attachments

Last edited:

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Ok now the whole reason I wanted a B2. Chopping the top. For whatever reason I've always wanted to do it. I'm on my 3rd b2 and its solely a project. So now I can play with it.

first rough cut. the most nerve racking part

Attachments

Last edited:

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Now to finish off the back. I got a rear hatch from a 93 explorer because I wanted to be able to weld it in place. It doesn't match up perfectly but its close enough that with liberal use of fiberglass I think it will work fine.

for the lower part I actually recycled the B2 top (sheet metal) and ran it all the way to the fenders and tilted it towards the back to meet where the depression starts for the rear seats.

Attachments

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Semi finished product. I still have some detail sanding before paint but that's down the road anyway. I also have to complete the inner walls of the bed.I did get the spare tire carrier/ tailgate done as well. I'll post a little better pic of that when I figure out how to block out my license.

Attachments

Last edited:

BroncoIIPower

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My credo
Clothing optional
I want to do something like that half cab. Ever since I saw RICO's I've been in love with it. Nice Bronco:headbang:

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I want to do something like that half cab. Ever since I saw RICO's I've been in love with it. Nice Bronco:headbang:
Thanks, I've been wanting to do it for a while myself. RICOs set the bar for sure. Itching for the lift, tires and wheels now but trying to decide what I'm going to do about axles first. Replace now or wait til I break them. Always adding to the list. I guess that's the very definition of a project

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I've done some research about what i should do about swapping in axles because my bronco has the stock axles with open diffs front and rear. What i've concluded that i want to do is take the larger axles out of a 91-93 explorer that has at least a limited slip rear diff. I am definitely interested in what you're going to do. You shouldn't have chopped your top... because now you've got me wanting to do it. Nice bronco, i love the work you did.

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Thanks, its been fun so far. I'm waiting on the stuff to get in to finish off my inner bed walls, then I'll have that part mostly done.

I'm leaning that way on the axles too. My only dilemma is to go solid axle in the front or not. Probably depends on what kind of doner vehicle I find, being picky trying to find one with 4:10 gears. The explorer front would be easier for sure. SAS is cool though,:dunno:

On another note, was changing the power steering pump. bent the pulley getting it off the shaft. grrrr. Thought no big deal head to the parts place........ no one has or can get one. Who would have thought that. Have a line on one tomorrow, guy says he can match one up. I hope

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I was just looking at power steering upgrades today , My 87 pump whines a bit , what type of pump are you using ?

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I just got a stock replacement from advance. Didn't want to put a lot into it cause I hope in a year or so to do an Engine swap.

Still trying to find a pulley. Actually bent a pulley puller at the junk yard trying to get one off. Nuts, my local u pull it won't let you take a torch in. probably have to spend the extra tomorrow to get a whole pump and take the pulley off at home

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Alright!!!! Have the power steering back together. Junk yard pulley, had to bring the whole junk yard pump home and heat it with the torch. Back on the road.

I should finish the interior tonight and get some pics up.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I was just looking at power steering upgrades today , My 87 pump whines a bit , what type of pump are you using ?
Use Type F transmission fluid and a little friction modifier like you would add to a limited slip differential.

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
pic of the interior where it was chopped. trimmed the headliner and interior plastic. Trim plastic for the back wall and around the window wasn't dry so I still need to put it on. working today so maybe tomorrow or over the weekend.

Attachments

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Finally got time to work on the bed of the bronco. Here is getting the sheet metal tached in and working on fit

Attachments